This is quick fix recipe where the mangoes are dried and crushed to powder. The Amchur Powder Recipe is very simple and easy to follow. To make the Dry Mango Powder at home, you would only need raw mangoes. These unripe mangoes are also called as Kachhi Keri.
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
This tangy flavoured spice powder is very essential for all the dishes of the Punjabi Cuisine. It is also most important ingredient when you want to perk up the flavours of your dish.
To prepare this fruit spice powder, you need to dry the unripe mango. Cut these mangoes in strips or chips and allow them to dry naturally in sunlight or artificially in oven. Wait till the slices of mangoes become crunchy and crispy. Then take these slices and grind them to powder.
- Properly dry the mango strips. Otherwise, you can’t grind it into a fine powder.
- When using oven to dry the strips, if you keep your temperature at 60 degrees it will take 20 hours
- If you keep your temperature at 50 degrees, it will take 24 hours.
- Do not keep oven’s temperature above 100 degrees.
- Once dried, you must not keep mangoes strips for a longer time, they won’t remain crispy.
- They would become chewy and you would have to re-dry them.
- If you are buying dried mango strips from the shop, make sure you remove the impure ones before grinding.
- I’ll still recommend you to dry the mango strips under sunlight for 3-4 hours after buying them from the shop.
Normally, amchur is added at the very last stage of cooking. When the curry or the gravy is ready, you can sprinkle some dry mango powder. It is used for flavoring curries and chutneys. It can be added to Indian vegetable stew and soups. At times, you can add it in the preparation of Sambar. It is also added to many popular Punjabi Dishes like spicy Chole Palak.
You can also add it to snacks like:
- This proportion of mango powder can last up to a couple of months.
- Make in it small quantity, so that you flavors remain fresh.
What is meant by Amchur powder?
The mango is also known as “Aam”. Thus, Amchur powder means the crushed form of mangoes. It is fruit spice powder. The raw and unripe mangoes are used to prepare it. These citrusy mangoes are dried and grounded. The addition of this powder infuses the sourness and tanginess to the food.
The change is flavors of the food can easily be differentiated before and after the addition of the amchur powder.
What does mango powder taste like?
The taste of dry mango powder or Amchur is a bit tangy and tarty. At the same time, it is sour and has little sweet.
What can I use instead of Amchur?
You can use tamarind instead of Amchur. Also, you can substitute Amchur with few drop of lemon or lime juice.
How to Select Amchur Powder from Store?
- Get the known and best brand product.
- The texture must be fibrous.
- The color must be pale sandy.
- Check the expiry date.
- Ensure the closed packet.
Dried mango powder or the Amchur powder is nothing but the Indian masala prepared by grinding dried mangoes. Amchur is called as dry mango powder. Its addition in food gives the touch of tangy and sour flavors. It also has a slight hint of sweetness. This Amchur powder is also available in store, but homemade Amchur Powder is best. The strong aroma of the grounded powder is enough to tempt you.
The taste and flavours of raw mangoes is retained in this powder. The preparation is very simple, the only time goes is in peeling and drying the mangoes. You have to peel the mango skin and slice I into very thin strips. You need to be patient, while drying the mangoes. After they are dried, it is just the task of just few minutes to grind them into a fine powder.