The ketogenic diet has been introduced to the world since many years now. Today, more and more dishes are transitioning to cater to the keto diet.
A ketogenic diet consists mainly of high-fat, moderate-proteins, and very-low-carbohydrates.
The dietary macronutrients are classified into approximately 55%-60% fat, 30%-35% protein, and 5%-10% carbohydrate. Carbohydrates, in total, amount to up to only 20 to 50 grams in a 2,000 kcal diet per day.
The Keto Diet
Most Americans have grown up eating delicious ground beef tacos at home for Taco Tuesdays. You know the kind that resemble those from Taco Bell with the crunchy yellow corn taco shells, seasoned ground beef, lettuce, and tomato.
A basic taco recipe made from ground beef and a packet of seasoning has been a staple for many of us.
It is an understatement to say that the Keto diet has become one of the most common foods of recent years. Case in point: Google searches for the keto diet to surpass one million a month.
It’s unique because the fad diet has captured people’s interest in losing weight — and there is no lack of success stories.
But as a therapeutic diet, experts have taken a greater interest in it too. In 2015, the PubMed database (which is run by the U.S. National Medicine Library and the National Institutes of Health) reported 159 studies. The number doubled in 2018, with 322 reviews reported.
Best Recipes for Keto Tacos
Best ground beef taco recipe for keto diets
- Taco shells
- 6 cheese taco shells (or your favorite)
- Ground beef taco meat
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 recipe low carb taco seasoning (use 2 tbsp or all depending on your taste)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup beef broth (or 1/2 cup water with 1/2 tsp beef base)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Toppings (use what you like)
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 medium avocado, sliced (toss with lemon or lime juice)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup purple onion, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Clean and cut lettuce and cilantro. Slice avocado and mix with lemon or lime juice to avoid browning. Slender onion. Provide available salsa and sour cream, and shredded cheese.
- In a cold pan, crumble the ground beef and turn the heat low. Working steadily, break the ground beef up with a spatula or a wooden scraper/spoon-shaped wedge, until it is very delicate in texture.
- Stir the taco seasoning in the ground beef and cook until fragrant. Remove the paste and stir. Attach the broth of meat (or foundation of water and beef) and boil until almost absorbed. Look for a moist mixture but not a wet one. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the seasoned taco meat equally among the shells of the 6 cheese tacos. Fill the shells with your favorites and enjoy!
Keto Mexican tacos
- 500 g ground beef (1.1 lb)
- 4 keto tacos (recipe is here), 8-inch each
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped (110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp unsweetened tomato puree
- 2 tbsp ghee, lard or extra virgin coconut oil (30 ml)
- sea salt and black pepper or cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 cup water (240 ml/ 8 fl oz)
- Prepare the keto tortillas and create taco shells. Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic. Place the onion and garlic on a pan greased with ghee and cook until lightly browned over medium-high heat. Stir to stop being fried.
- Remove the ground beef and remove the chili powder and ground cumin until browned. Using 1 1/2 tsp of paprika when you don’t have any of those.
- Pour in the water and apply the tomato puree. Season with pepper and salt.
- Start filling out the taco shells (recipe is here-follow taco shell instructions). Start with the meat mixture and top with some tomatoes.
Keto taco cups
- 2 c. shredded cheddar
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream, for serving
- Diced avocado, for serving
- Freshly chopped cilantro, for serving
- Chopped tomatoes, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 °, and line a large parchment paper baking sheet. A few inches apart, spoon about 2 tablespoons of cheddar. Bake until bubbly and the edges start turning golden, in around 6 minutes. Let it cool down for a minute on the baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, grease the bottom of a muffin tin with a cooking spray, then carefully pick up slices of melted cheese and put them on the bottom of a muffin tin. Fit another inverted muffin tin and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Use your hands to help shape the cheese around the inverted tin if you don’t have a second muffin container.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Attach the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, occasionally stirring, until softened. Stir in the garlic, then add the ground beef and split the meat with a spoon of wood. Cook for about 6 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink, then drain fat.
- Return meat to skillet and add chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper to season.
- Move cups of cheese to a serving platter. Load up with cooked beef and top with sour cream, avocado, coriander, and tomatoes.
Your body enters ketosis after you follow the diet for a couple of days, which means it has started to use fat for the energy.