The sweet fragrance of cucumbers, parsley, and crunchy green peppers come together to make a fresh cucumber salad of your farm-to-table dreams. The only better thing than the scent is the completely alive taste. And we can’t forget the texture, it’s an important mix of crunchy and juicy.
Cucumber and tomato salads come in all shapes and forms. Oftentimes, different cultures have their own spin on how to make these two ingredients shine. This simple salad can be taken and changed in a myriad of ways with the addition of just a few things.
You can make it a little fancier and add some Kalamata olives, by adding some crunchy chopped Romaine lettuce you can make the salad heftier. Or you could add in some orzo and make a whole meal of it if you want. We’re going to show you how to make a fresh cucumber salad with a few of our own special twists.
What You Can Do To Get Started
This fresh cucumber salad makes a great side dish for Lemon Garlic Roasted Chicken, Greek Marinated Chicken, Chicken Shawarma and Greek Turkey Burgers.
Cucumber Salad is an absolute classic! This recipe is courtesy of my German background, where they call it Gurkensalat. It’s a popular side dish that has made its way to America. It’s easy to make, sweet, and refreshing.
You may consider
two different versions
of the Cucumber Salad, one being with a light vinegar sauce, the other being a creamy version. We will show you the light vinegar version here, but if you want the creamy version just mix up sour cream, dill, garlic, sugar, and a little vinegar.
Fresh Cucumber Salad Ingredients
For the Red Wine Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil ($0.52)
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar ($0.20)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice ($0.06)
- 1 tsp dried oregano ($0.10)
- 1/2 tsp salt ($0.02)
- Freshly cracked pepper ($0.03)
For the Salad
- 2 cucumbers ($1.58)
- 4 Roma tomatoes (about 1 lb.) ($2.08)
- 1/2 small red onion ($0.38)
- 1 green bell pepper ($0.98)
- 1/4 bunch parsley ( $0.23)
- 2 oz feta ($1.12)
Fresh Cucumber Salad Instructions
- Prepare the vinaigrette first to allow the flavors to blend while the rest of the salad is prepared. Whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, salt, and a few freshly cracked pepper in a small cup and set aside.
- Peel the cucumbers if you wish. The cucumbers, onions, and pepper bell dice. Slice the red onion into thin slices. Pull the leaves off the parsley stems, then give them a rough chop.
- Place the cucumbers, tomatoes, bell pepper, red onion, parsley, and Feta in a bowl. Pour the sauce over top and toss to blend. Serve right away. This salad can be reserved in the refrigerator if you don’t add the dressing over top. You can keep the dressing in a separate container until ready to serve.
Benefits Of Eating Fresh Cucumber Salad
While generally thought of as a vegetable, cucumber is a fruit. It is high in beneficial nutrients, as well as certain plant compounds and antioxidants that may help to treat and even prevent certain conditions.
Cucumbers are also low in calories and contain the right amount of water and soluble fiber, making them ideal for hydration and weight loss support.
It’s packed with nutrients
Cucumbers are low in calories but high in nutrients, and many vitamins and minerals of great importance. Eating the peeling cucumbers provides the highest nutrient value.
It has antioxidants
Cucumbers contain antioxidants, including flavonoids and tannins, that prevent harmful free radicals from accumulating and can reduce the risk of chronic disease.
It promotes hydration
Cucumbers consist of about 96 percent water, which can improve hydration and help you meet your daily fluid requirements.
It aids in weight loss
Cucumbers are low in calories, high in water, and can be used for many dishes as a low-calorie topping. This can all help in weight loss.
Cucumbers contain a large amount of water which is what makes them taste so refreshing. But that high water content isn’t just great for taste, but instead it also helps to replenish your body of lost fluids. So eat a bowl of fresh cucumber salad and get a whole lot of hydration for free alongside.