Healthy is pretty much a loaded word. It’s a rare thing that there is a recipe for cookies that is really “healthy.” Healthy means in the sense that cookies are not a nutritious dietary necessity. They are, however, a necessary part of a happy life.
There are also types of balanced cookies, including a recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies. If you can’t help but have the job of cookies in your life, these cookies will help you remain healthy while doing so!
Here are some tips you need to remember before cooking your chocolate chip cookie.
Use White Wheat Flour
White whole wheat flour was used for this recipe because it amplifies the nutritional value without significantly altering its taste or texture. Regular whole wheat flour zaps moisture and can produce dense baked goods with an overwhelming flavor of wheat. That’s definitely not what we want here. So, it is worth the extra trip to the store to get white whole wheat flour! These days, it’s available at many grocery stores or you can order it online.
Bake with Coconut Oil
In this recipe, you can use virgin coconut oil. The coconut scent is better than the actual taste, so you might want to find another recipe if you hate coconut. Or you can try using an alternative dairy-free butter if you wish.
It is really very easy to use coconut oil in a baking recipe. The trick is weighing it and using it when it is stable, not melted. It acts more like butter in this way! The absolute most natural way to measure coconut oil is through a kitchen scale, so you don’t end up with a greasy mess everywhere.
Baking with Coconut Sugar
Coconut sugar is provided by the refining of the sap formed by coconut blossoms. In fact, it contains a fiber known as inulin, which can help slow the absorption of glucose. Data about coconut sugar’s health benefits are limited.
Sugar is always sugar at the end of the day, so it could be a healthier choice for those who want to skip granulated sugar. At Target and other big grocery stores, coconut sugar is routinely available. It tastes like brown sugar and looks very similar too! You can use light brown sugar if you can’t find it or don’t want to use it instead.
Extra Egg Yolk Chewy
In this recipe, the extra protein and fat inside the extra egg yolk help to lend that delightful chewy texture. Don’t miss out on this move!
There is no other perfect alternative that gives the same taste and texture if you can’t have eggs.
Use Cacao Chips
The 60 percent cacao baking chips from Ghirardelli are used in this recipe as they are big and round. In addition, you can get away with using slightly less because they pack a powerful punch of chocolate. If you need to use dairy-free chocolate chips these days, there are more and more options.
Healthy Chocolate Chip Ingredients
- 1 1/4 cups (150 grams) white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup (105 grams) virgin coconut oil, at room temperature (solid)
- 1 cup (155 grams) coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (130 grams) dark chocolate chips
Healthy Chocolate Chip Instructions
- Oven preheats to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- The flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt can be combined in a medium bowl.
- Beat the coconut oil and coconut sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until they are very well mixed, around 2 minutes. Stir in the yolk and vanilla. Then add in the flour mixture gradually, beating at low speed. Throw the chocolate chips in.
- Divide the dough into balls formed and drop them onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 9 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Rest it for 2 minutes to cool completely before removing to wire racks. Cookies can be kept in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature.
This recipe does not contain any dairy and has less sugar than the traditional recipe for cookies when using a potentially “healthier” sugar. White whole wheat flour with a little bump in nutrition has been used for the best taste and texture in this recipe.
Make your healthy chocolate chip cookies now!