Instant way to include iron in your diet is through broccoli. There are various ways to use broccoli in meal but best intake is through soup. Savvy dieters should definitely read the cream of broccoli soup recipe and try it. What better than to enjoy the soup and encourage health.
Cream Of Broccoli Soup
- Author: Karishma Shah
- Cuisine: Soups
Description: Make you family meals healthy and hearty with the soup of broccoli. The attractive aroma of fresh broccoli when cooked with cream is simply adorable. The appealing green colored smooth and creamy texture make it’s easily adaptable.
Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe Ingredients:
- Butter – 1 ½ tbsp.
- Margarine (Butter Spread) – ½ tbsp.
- Broccoli Florets – 3 ½ cups (chopped)
- Carrots – 2 cups (thin sliced)
- Onions – 1 cup (finely chopped)
- Plain Flour – 1 ½ tbsp.
- Mustard Seeds – 2 tsp.
- Sour Cream – ¼ cup
- Lime Juice – 2 tsp.
- White Stock – ¼ tsp.
- Milk – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – ½ tsp.
- Black Pepper – ¼ tsp.
- Nutmeg Powder – as per taste
Note: Use may use only butter or margarine. Adjust the quantity if using either of one.
Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe Steps:
- Finely chop the Onions into small pieces.
- Shred the skin of carrots and grate them into fine thin slices.
- Wash and rinse the broccoli. Coarsely chop the clean broccoli florets after removing the dirt and dust.
Note: When you buy the broccoli from grocery store, they are frozen. Keep in the open to achieve the room temperature. You may also steam it for few minutes.
- Heat the butter or the butter spread over the high flame in a medium-sized deep sauce pan. Transfer the onions in the melted butter and sauté them till they become translucent.
- After the onions turn to golden brown, add the sliced carrots and stir till they become soft and tender.
- Sprinkle into the mixture some sesame seeds, and salt along with pepper for your taste.
- Then stir into the mixture, the coarsely chopped broccoli with addition of water at regular intervals. Add white stock and cook over low flame. Cover the pan, and let the water boil for 10 minutes. Remove the pan only after the broccoli has turned soft.
- From the pan, take small quantity of mixture into the separate bowl and transfer to the blender. Blend the broccoli mixture at high speed till the soft and smooth pure is formed.
- In the similar manner, blend all the remaining mixture in small groups. Repeat till you blend the entire soup from pan and get the puree.
- Once the whole soup is formed to puree, transfer it to large bowl.
- Again melt the butter over a saucepan and add the flour. Sauté over the medium flame and take precaution it does not loose color.
- Add the milk and stir continuously. Check the sides to avoid it from getting burned. Simmer for 10 minutes till the milk is boiled.
- Then transfer the broccoli mixture to saucepan once again. Heat at low flame and season it by squeezing some lime juice in it.
- Stir in some sour cream for the smooth and creamy texture. Simmer for some time, turn off the flame and let it rest.
Check the soup after 10 minutes, if the ingredients have settle and the soup has taken the smooth texture, then transfer from pan to the soup bowl, stir and serve.
Note: Use the thick bottom sauté pan. You can also sauté garlic with onions.
Calories: 154 calories
- Total Time: PT45M
- Serves: 3
- Date Published: 2016-08-13
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
The delicious creamy broccoli soup apart from great taste also has additional health benefits. It is a perfect replacement of a light lunch on heavy winter days. It summarizes the simple supper with a star dish when served as starter.
The soup when served with sour cream just cannot sate the desire for more creamy soup. You can make again and again for satisfying your love for soups. You may also experiment with the soup by changing the ingredients.
You May Also Like :
- The cream of broccoli soup requires just 40 – 45 minutes to get ready.
- If you want to have low-fat soup then, it is advisable to use fat-free sour cream which balances taste and health.
- Broccoli is the best source of Vitamin K. It is nutrition powerhouse aiding in various health issues.
- For the saltier flavor, you can also skip sour cream and use Bragg’s Liquid Amino.
Ladle the soup in a shallow soup bowl. Serve it toasted breads, garlic breads or croutons. Garnish soup dish it with:
- Shredded Cheese
- Finely Chopped Onions
- Sliced Carrots
- Whipped Cream
Image Credit : Sargento