Dahi Vada is popular street food snack that seldom needs description. It is also served as starters in parties and functions. The spongy and soft Vada are synthesized with sweet, spicy and salty taste. The Dahi Vada Recipe is time-consuming and requires a lot of ingredients which involves pre-planning.
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
The dish has fried lentil dumplings dipped in the yogurt with the drizzle of flavorsome chutney. The seasoning of spice powders and topping of onions makes the wonderful Vada even more indulging. It is the hearty, healthy and nutritious dish to have. It has the perfect blend of flavors and various topping makes it look colorful.
The recipe of Dahi Vada has the different version of serving in North India and South India. The first version includes the sprinkle of both green and tamarind chutney with extra spices. Whereas in the later version, the curd is preferred to be sweeter with less proportion of spice powder.
Try one bite and it’s a guarantee that you would not be getting around without munching another piece. Eat and enjoy this tasty Chaat dish. It is an appetizer for parties. Also, it a perfect entertainer for a hot and humid weather.
- The Dahi Vada Recipe requires one-day pre-preparation if you want to make. The soaking of the Daal takes 9-10 hours.
- The side materials like yogurt and chutney can be preserved in the refrigerator and used later.
- You must very less water or almost no water while you ground the dal.
- Keep on whisking the dal until it gets fluffy.
- You can take the dal in a plate and whisk it with your hands.
- You must use chilled Yogurt or Curd for a better taste. Beat the curd in advance and then keep it in a refrigerator to chill.
- If you like bitter Curd, then skip adding sugar. The addition of the sugar makes the Curd taste sweet.
- The Dahi Vada can be prepared from equal amount of Moong dal and Urad dal. But you can also make it only from Moong dal.
- To make Vada softer, as soon as they fried, transfer them immediately into the water. Submerge them fully into the water.
- While taking Vada out from water make sure that water is not hot. Or else, your hands would burn.
The smell of delicious Dahi Vada is highly tempting. But you can make your Dahi Vada look more appealing with better plating. Many garnish it with thin Sev or pomegranate seeds. You can sprinkle chilli powder and roasted cumin powder. Also, top the Dahi Vada with spicy roasted peanuts for the crunch and the nutty aroma.
It can be garnished with:
- Mint Leaves
- Coriander Leaves
- Fried Crispy Boondi
- Thick Nylon Sev
There is a typical way of serving the Dahi Vada. Take out the soaked Vada from the water, squeeze them and keep in a deep dish. Pour the Dahi over the Vada and drizzle some chutney of your choice. You can top the Vada with Curd, Chutney and other ingredients.
- Serve this delectable Dahi Vada as a snack or for a light meal.
- Make it as a weekend snack and then you have it for a light dinner.
- You can prepare it as a party snack or the evening Chaat.
- The Delicious Dahi Vada can be served with hot any beverage.
- You can eat the Dahi Vada with any cheese dip or homemade tomato sauce.
- The Dahi Vada can be served with spicy fried green chillies.
- If you are serving the immediately and instantly as they are made, then soak them in water. Add pinch of salt and Hing at the very moment you take them out from pan.
- If you are preparing for a party, then fry them and serve later. In this case, you can soak them in lukewarm water. Add the salt and Hing. Keep them soaked for 2 hours. Serve them when they are puffy.
- Let the Vada batter become fluffy. You have to beat it till it becomes light. This will help in making best and perfect Vada.
- To make the soft Vada, immediately soak them in water as they are fried.
- The porous parts and portions of the Vada will soak up the water.
- After the water has been soaked, gently squeeze the Vada remove excess water. Take care, Vada should not break!
- If you fry them on low flame then they will absorb more oil.
- If you deep-fry them on high flame then they will immediately turn brown. But they would remain uncooked from inside.
|45 minutes||9 to 10 people||131 calories|
The Dahi Vada recipe is simple to understand and requires planning before making at home. It is a delicious light snack to have any day. Cook the Chaat dish and celebrate the occasions.
This salty, sweet, tangy and tasty Dahi Vada is one of the most popular snacks. It is also made on special occasions and can be prepared for a festive time as well. To make it for the party or to impress the guest, you must have the perfect Dahi Vada on your plate.
The usual taste of this yummiest and most liked snack is mild. But you can make it spicy or sweet as suitable to your taste buds. The Dahi Vada Recipe is one such snack dish which is time taking but very interesting to try. Learn how to make Dahi Vada at home and get the street-shop taste.
It is a very simple recipe where the Vada made of lentils is deep fried and served with fresh yogurt. The fried Vada’s are fluffy, crunchy and golden-colored. You can them plain fried but they might not taste as nice as when dipped in Dahi. The drizzle of the Dahi and Chutney makes the tongue-tickling snack. The sprinkle of Chaat masala and nuts will give you an eating experience in every bite!
These savory fried Vada’s are soaked in the water and then dipped the sweetened Curd. They are mainly served with the drizzling of tangy Tamarind Chutney and refreshing Mint Chutney. Then the sprinkling of various spice powders is done. It is amazing to have these fried lentil dumplings with chutney and yogurt. You may also top it with Sev, finely chopped onions or Pomegranate Seeds.
We all are familiar with this yummy and delicious Dahi Vada. But you can make many instant fried snack or Chaat recipes which. All these all-time-favorite Chaat’s from Indian Cuisine are highly appreciated worldwide. They are most welcomed but it is not possible to always eat fried food. So you can try different ways of preparing the non-fried and healthy Dahi Vada.
To make the batter for the Dahi Vada Recipe, you must overnight soak the Dal to be used. You can use both Urad Dal and Moong Dal or either anyone. After the Dal is soaked, it is drained grounded to a smooth paste.
If your batter of the grounded dal gets dry, you can consider adding the curd. But it is optional to do so. Mix the Curd only when you feel that dal is dry while grinding.
If you have the moist and runny batter, then do not use Curd. The addition of the curd gives the soft texture and a bit of sourness to the Vada batter. You can also add Eno (fruit salt) to your Dahi Vada the batter for a spongy texture.
Methods to Prepare Dahi Vada:
There are three different ways by which you can make the Vada from the batter.
- Steamed Method.
Similar to Idli or Dhokla, this Dahi Vada Batter can be steamed in a nonstick pan. You have to Cook the Vada in the pan till they are properly cooked. Grease the pan with the butter or oil, to give it a crunchy texture and taste. Wait until they become brown, crispy and crunchy.
- Microwave Method
It is very easy and simple to prepare the Dahi Vada in the oven. It is both healthy and tasty. It uses less oil and this fat-free version of dahi vada tastes nice as well. Learn how to make Baked Dahi Vada and eat healthy snacks.
Pour batter into greased microwave bowls. Cook each of this bowl with the batter for 35-45 seconds (depending on the temperature cooking time may vary). Your Dahi Vada would be soft but not as crunchy as you expect. (buy microwave? click here)
- Frying Method (Traditional Method)
This is the most basic and common method. Take the batter and fry the Vada on the medium flame till they are cooked. The Vada would be crispy and crunchy.
Any which way you prepare the batter of the Vada, assembling them is super quick and easy. Once cooked, soak them for a while. Drain the water and arrange Vada. Add lots of Curd and Chutney to the Vada. (It is preferable to use homemade curd in making of this dish.)
South Indian Version of Dahi Vada:
This Dahi Vada can be prepared in more than one way. You can add the spices and tempering as per your taste palates. In the south, people make this Dahi Vada in slightly different manner. Here, the tempering of the yogurt is done with the mustard seeds and curry leaves. The change in flavors is easily differentiable but its tastes delicious.
How to make Soft and Spongy Dahi Vada’s?
You must beat the batter well just like the way you prepare the batter for the cake. Continuously whisk till it becomes light. Beat the Vada batter briskly until fluffy. The batter has to be airy in nature.
Beating the batter is crucial and a very important step for the best Vada’s. This makes the Vada porous, soft and spongy. As you soon you have beaten the batter, you must immediately start with frying of the Vada.
You can munch on these crunchy fried vada’s or soak them in water and wait.
Image Credit : Sizzleanddrizzle