Dahi Vada is popular street food snack that seldom needs description. It is also served as starters in parties and functions. The spongy and soft Vada are synthesized with sweet, spicy and salty taste. The Dahi Vada Recipe is time-consuming and requires a lot of ingredients which involves pre-planning.
- Author: Karishma Shah
- Recipe Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: Indian
Description: The Dahi Vada recipe is simple requires planning to make home. It is delicious light snack to have any day. Cook the Chaat dish and celebrate the occasions.
Dahi Vada Recipe Ingredients:
- Black Gram/ Urad Daal – ½ cup
- Mung Bean/ Moong Dal – ½ cup
- Yogurt – 2 ½ cups
- Onions – 2 cups (finely chopped)
- Coriander Leaves – 2 cups (finely chopped)
- Green Chillies – ½ cup (sliced chopped)
- Tamarind Chutney – 1 cup
- Green Chutney – 1 cup
- Cashews – ½ cup
- Raisins – ½ tbsp.
- Crushed Ginger (Ginger Powder) – ½ tsp.
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp.
- Roasted Cumin Powder – 1 tsp.
- Dry Pomegranate Seeds – 1 ½ tsp.
- Dry Mango Powder – 1 tsp.
- Chat Masala – 1 tsp.
- Baking Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp.
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Grated Ginger – 1 tsp. (½ inch).
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Vegetable Oil – 3 tbsp.
- Jaggery – 8 tbsp.
- Salt – as per taste
- Water – 4 cups
Note: You may skip onions and garlic for the Jain version of Dahi Vada Recipe. You can use saffola active oil for cooking.
Dahi Vada Recipe Steps:
It is very easy to prepare the delicious Dahi Vada at home. It is a dish which needs some pre-planning and you must prepare the chutney beforehand. It is also important to soak the Dal before you can use it. Follow the simple steps and this street food snack at home.
Soak the Daal:
- Clean the Black gram and Mung beans with fresh water.
- Wash them with the muslin cloth and soak in the water overnight.
Prepare the Yogurt:
- Beat the diluted curd with water smoothly and put in a bowl.
- Add some salt, get the required texture and consistency.
- Keep in refrigerator for one hour to get chilled.
Prepare Tamarind Chutney:
- In a bowl of water, soak the tamarind for 5 hours.
- Squeeze their pulp in the same bowl.
- Strain the pulp and keep it in a bowl aside.
- Heat the oil and crackle the cumin seeds.
- Add the red chilli powder and ginger powder.
- Stir and drop the Asafoetida.
- Mix the strained pulp of tamarind.
- Now add small cubes of Jaggery with a pinch of salt and cook.
- Let the mixture cook till it becomes thicken.
- Turn off the flame and let it cool down.
- Transfer the paste from pan to the bowl or container.
Prepare Green Chutney:
- Wash, rinse and finely chop the coriander leaves.
- Blend into the mixture, coriander leaves with pomegranate powder and dry mango powder. Add chopped onions and garlic cloves.
- Pinch a small amount of salt and sprinkle water.
- Grind till the smooth paste is formed.
- Transfer the paste from processor to the small bowl.
Note: You can make yogurt at home or buy from the market.
- Drain the water from the black gram lentils and the Mung beans.
- Take small amounts of the two ingredients and grind them into the mixture of a smooth paste. Run the food processor on the medium pace till the coarse paste is formed.
- Repeat till all the lentil is grinded.
- Take the paste in a small bowl and beat the mixture till it becomes fluffy. This will make the Vada porous.
- Now to this paste, add ginger, cumin seeds, and baking powder. Also, a pinch of salt for maintaining the taste.
- Whisk the batter for few minutes and let it rest so that the ingredients gets accustomed with each other.
- Take a frying pan and heat the oil over a medium flame. Make small rounds balls of the batter with your hand.
- Drop them into the hot oil and deep fry till they become golden brown. You can fry more than 5 balls at one time.
- Take them out carefully and keep on oil absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
- Transfer the fried Vada to the bowl of water with salt sprinkled over it. Let the Vada soak in water for 1.5 hours.
- Repeat till the entire batter is fried.
- Take the bowl of yogurt from the refrigerator and sprinkle red chilli powder, crushed ginger, cumin powder and a pinch of salt for taste. Mix the spice powder properly in yogurt.
- Also grind the curry leaves, mustard seeds, and Asafoetida. Mix the paste into the yogurt and whisk well.
- Squeeze the water from the soaked Vada and place them on a plate.
- Pour the yogurt, tamarind chutney, and green chutney over the Vada in the plate.
- Sprinkle the salt, red chilli powder, pepper, and other spices.
And your chilled Dahi Vada is ready to be served as a snack.
Note: Do not add water while you blend the lentils. The fluffier the mixture is, the softer Vada will be.
- Calories: 131 calories
- Total Time: PT45M