It’s time to get ready to eat again one of the famous Gujarati snack that’s dhokla. It’s also famous as live dhokla. Actually nowadays the demand of live dhokla has increased. So looking the popularity of it I have decided to discuss the recipe.
- Author: Chandni Agrawal
- Recipe Category: Gujarati Snack
- Cuisine: Indian
Description: In our Gujarat weddings are incomplete without the live dhokla counter in the menu. It’s so tasty and yummy. Dhokla are made up of rice and lentils. Both the rice and lentil is soaked and fermented with curd or buttermilk and then steamed. Thus it’s a combination of taste and health both.
Ingredients for Gujarati Dhokla Recipe :
- Toovar dal/ arhar dal – 1 tbsp
- Rice/ chawal – 1 cup
- Chana dal/ split Bengal gram – ½ cup
- Turmeric powder/ haldi- a pinch of
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Green chili paste – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – as required
- Curd – 4 tbsp
- Red chili powder to sprinkle on dhokla while steaming.
- Green coriander leaves for garnishing
Ingredients for tempering :
- Oil – 2tbsp
- Mustard seeds -1 tsp
- Sesame seeds -1 tsp
Note:- tempering the dhoklas is optional.
Steps for Making Gujarati Dhokla :
- Clean, wash and soak the rice and lentils for 4-5 hours.
- Rinse and remove the water.
- Now grind the rice and lentils with curd.
- Make a fine paste and the consistency is to between thick and thin.
- Now cover with a lid and ferment for 8-10 hours.
- Now add salt, haldi, ginger garlic paste, green chili paste,red chili powder, salt, oil and mix well.
- Grease the plate in which dhokla is to be steamed.
- Now the amount of batter required to be steamed at one time take it into a small bowl. Add baking soda to it. Immediately pour the batter in the plate and Sprinkle red chili powder on the batter and steam it.
- It will take 10-15 minutes. Check with a toothpick.
- Repeat the same process with the remaining batter.
Method for tempering :
- Heat oil in a small pan
- Add mustard seeds and sesame seeds. Let them crackle.
- Now add the tempering on the dhokla.
Calories: 657 calories
- Total Time: PT25M
- Serves: 4
- Date Published: 2016-08-01
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
Dhokla is eaten with green chutney and Garlic chutney along with oil which is spread over the dhokla. This dish can be included in menu of small gathering also. It’s quick to cook just it requires a little pre-preparation i.e soaking and all.
- Garnish with green coriander leaves.
- Serve with green chutney and Garlic chutney.
- Total time of cooking is 13-14 hours.
- Serves 4 people.
- Instead of curd buttermilk can also be used.
- After adding soda steam the batter immediately otherwise the dhokla will not rise.
- Tempering is optional part.
- Curry leaves can also be added while preparation of tempering.
- Instead of baking soda eno can also be used.