Masala papad recipe is a famous Indian starter. It is basically a fried papad on which a mixture of onion and tomatoes and spices is spread. Though it a simple dish but very tasty. This masala papad dish holds a very important place in the starter section of the menu. I know some restaurants which serve masala papad as a complimentary starter.
- Author: Chandni Agrawal
- Recipe Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: Indian
Description: For masala papad urad dal papad is preferred. Here, I fried the papad but it can be roasted also. The taste of fried one is more palatable than the roasted one. If you are health conscious then go for roasted version. I make roasted masala papad for myself and the fried one for others in the family.
Ingredients for Masala Papad Recipe:
- Urad dal papad – 4
- Finely chopped onion – 1 ( medium size )
- Finely chopped tomato – 1 ( medium size )
- Finely chopped coriander leaves – 2 tbsp.
- Chaat masala – 1 tsp.
- Roasted cumin powder/ bhuna jeera powder – 1 tsp.
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp. ( optional )
- Lemon juice as required
- Salt to taste
- Oil for shallow frying
Method for Masala Papad Recipe:
- Take a bowl add chopped onion and chopped tomato. Mix well.
- Now add all spices chaat masala, cumin powder, salt. While adding salt be cautious because chaat masala already has salt in it.
- Also, add lime juice. Mix everything well.
- If you are using red chili powder add it at this step along with all spices.
- Keep the mixture aside covered.
- Take a pan. Add oil in it. Heat the oil.
- When oil gets hot put a urad papad in it. Fry the papad.
- Don’t fry the papad until brown. Fry till the papad is crispy.
- With the help of a tong remove the papad from oil.
- Keep the papad on a kitchen napkin.
- Now take one spoonful or two of the onion tomato mixture.
- Spread on the papad evenly.
- Masala papad is ready.
Note: assemble the masala papad just before serving otherwise it will become soggy if prepared earlier.
Calories: 200 calories
- Total Time: PT5M
- Serves: 1
- Date Published: 2016-09-07
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
The good thing about this dish is that the ingredients required are less. Even you can change the proportion of veggies and spices according to your taste. Once you have this papad dish you will always want more. This is because it is going leave a blast of taste in your mouth.
The only precaution you need to take is that the papad has to be served immediately as soon as it is assembled otherwise it will become soggy. When we go to a restaurant we always munch on this masala papad until our order is ready. So get set ready to make this delicious masala papad at your home!
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve as a starter.
- Total time of cooking is 15 minutes.
- Serves 4 people.
- Make the mixture just before serving.
- You can even keep the fried papad in an airtight container.
- The quantity of spice can be varied according to your taste.
- Chopped green chili can also be added.
- If the papad is large in size you can cut it into four halves.
Image Credit : Tastyappetite