The delicious, colorful and crunchy Papdi Chaat is a popular street food snack which is also available even in top notch Indian restaurants. The Papdi Chaat Recipe is single dish recipe with a variety of flavors and tastes. It’s a genuine combination of sweet, spicy and tangy zest will definitely hook u up for the next bite. Make it for a big party or a small get-together, it surely would be a success! The yummy Papdi Chaat will impress your guest and family members instantly as they take the first bite.
- Author: Karishma Shah
- Recipe Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: Indian
Description: The Papdi Chaat Recipe is simple to follow and easy to make. It mainly requires fresh chickpeas, curd, veggies, condiments, and herbs. Prepare and enjoy!
Papdi Chaat Recipe Ingredients:
- Chickpeas – 3 cups
- Thick Curd – ½ cup
- Fried Papdi – 12 pieces
- Potatoes – ½ cup
- Red Bell Pepper – ¼ cup
- Tomatoes – 1 cup
- Onions – 1 cup
- Green Bell Pepper – ¼ cup
- Green Chilies – ½ cup
- Chaat Masala – ½ tsp.
- Coriander Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Cumin Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Cumin Seeds – ¼ tsp.
- Pomegranate Seeds – ¼ tsp.
- Dry Mango Powder – ½ tsp.
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp.
- Asafoetida (hing) – a pinch
- Coriander Chutney – 1 cup
- Spicy Mint Chutney – 1 cup
- Tamarind Chutney – 1 cup
- Coriander Leaves – ½ cup
- Parsley Leaves – ¼ cup
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp.
- Vegetable Oil – 3 tbsp.
- Thick Sev – 1 cup
- Salt – as per taste.
Note: You can use white chickpeas or garbanzo beans. If you have cumin seeds then crush them to powder.
Papdi Chaat Recipe Steps:
- Boil the Chickpeas prior to using them.
- Wash the chickpeas under fresh and cool water.
- Strain the dirty water and dry them.
- Boil the water in the pressure cooker.
- Add some salt when water is boiled.
- Then keep the plate of chickpeas.
- Cover the lid and let them cook till they become soft.
- Take out the chickpeas on a plate.
- Drain off extra water.
- Wash and deseed green chilies. Break their steam and chop them.
- Boil the potatoes, peel off their skin and mash them.
- Rinse, wash and chop Coriander Leaves, Parsley Leaves, Onions, tomatoes, and bell Peppers.
- Make the coriander chutney, tamarind chutney, and the mint chutney.
Note: Be careful while chopping the chilies and bell peppers.
- Take one large shallow plate. Arrange the Papdi in the circular format.
- Once you have assembled them, then bring other side servings.
- Top the Papdi with them a mixture of mashed boiled potatoes.
- Now add some boiled chickpeas over this mixture.
- Now, heat the oil in saucepan over a medium pan and wait till it crackles.
- Sprinkle with the hot oil, cumin seeds and they will make noise.
- Now, Sautee the onions till they change the color and become golden brown.
- Add the green and red bell peppers and let them roast.
- When your tempering is ready, transfer it over to the top of Papdi.
- Now slightly sprinkle in the various spice powders like the cumin powder, coriander powder, dry mango powder, Chaat masala, hing and the red chili powder.
- Season it with the light amount of curd.
- Then one by one top each of the Papdi with coriander chutney, tamarind chutney, and the mint chutney.
- Now add some the salt along with a pinch of black pepper powder.
- Squeeze in the lime juice.
- Seasoning the Chana Chaat with the chopped coriander leaves and few pomegranate seeds.
- Check for the taste and adjust the final flavors.
- Top the Chaat plate with the parsley leaves.
- You can either refrigerate it or serve it immediately.
And the delicious Papdi Chaat with mild yet tasty flavors is ready!
Note: You may skip the tempering and add the onions and bell peppers without frying into the chickpeas mixture.
Calories: 250 calories
- Total Time: PT50M
- Serves: 4
- Date Published: 2016-09-19
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
This dish which is a composite of various flavors creates an admirable colorful plate. It has strong crispness and crunchiness of Papdi along with the creaminess of curd. The tangy lime juice is an add-on to the sweet and spicy seasonings. The topping of chickpeas makes it healthy, whereas the pomegranate seeds add the taste. The use of mashed potatoes and the fried sautéed onions gives the Chaat traditional touch.
It is a wonderful recipe which can be made flexible according to taste palate of the individual. For example, if you want spicy Chaat, then increase red chili powder with the topping of spicy chutney and add more green chilies. In the case you prefer sweet Chaat, then use more topping of tamarind chutney and less of spicy condiments. But if you are suitable for everything and prefer the mild taste, then use all ingredients in the limited proportion.
It is an easy to make Chaat dish with the constraint that you have all the chutneys (dips) made in prior. If not then it will take extra time to prepare the chutney at home. You may check out how to make coriander chutney at home. The preparation of mint chutney is similar to previous with the addition of mint leaves. Also, it is simple and easy to make tamarind chutney. Thus though it may sound a bit time consuming, but it not at all difficult to assemble.
- The Papdi Chaat Recipe requires hardly 5 minutes to assemble the mixture over Papdi but the preparation takes 50 minutes.
- The measured proportion of the ingredients in this recipe approximately serves 4 people, but you can increase if you want to make for more people.
- You can also be flexible with the quantities of chilies or spice powders to adjust to your taste. It is perfectly fine even if you skip using the green chilies.
- If you are keeping the chat in the fridge, then season with the other ingredients only before you serve the Chaat.
- You may try to customize the recipe and substitute potatoes with either sweet potatoes or yam.
Serve the crunchy Papdi Chaat in shallow serving bowls. Garnish it the colorful Chaat with:
- Crushed Papdi
- Chopped Coriander
- Corn chips
- Thin Sev
Image Credit : Manusmenu