The sweet and delicious Banana Appam is a famous South Indian sweet snack recipe. These crispy banana fritters are prepared with ripe bananas, Jaggery and rice flour. Apart from these core ingredients, chopped coconut is used for granulated texture and mild taste. The flavouring agents like cardamom powder and cumin powder are also added. This is an easy to follow Banana Appam Recipe. Even if you are trying the sweet appam for the first time, do not worry! Try it once, it would taste delicious.
- Author: Karishma Shah
- Recipe Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: Indian
Description: This is an easy to follow Banana Appam Recipe. With minimal ingredients, you can make soft and sweet banana appam at home. Try to make the sweet appam once!
Ingredients for Banana Appam Recipe:
- Banana – 250 grams
- Jaggery – 125 grams
- Rice Flour – 250 grams
- Coconut (Chopped) – ¼ cup
- Ginger Powder (Saunth) – ½ tsp.
- Cumin Powder (Jeera powder) – ¼ tsp.
- Cardamom Powder (Elaichi Powder) – ½ tsp.
- Oil/Ghee – 2 tsp.
- Water – 2 cups
- Sesame Seeds – 2 tsp.
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp.
- Ghee – 1 tsp.
Note: You can skip coconut if you do not have it with you. Do not use old coconut as it will not taste good. Use Patanjali cow ghee and saffola oil when cooking.
Method of Making Banana Appam Recipe:
- Take 125 grams Jaggery and chop or grate it.
- Take a saucepan and add 2 cups water in it.
- Now, add Jaggery in it.
- Now, place the saucepan on the stove.
- Turn on the flame and heat the water.
- Heat until the Jaggery melts in the water.
- Now, filter the Jaggery and water mixture and keep it aside.
- Take a coconut and chop it.
- Chop it into small pieces or you can even grate it.
- Take a pan and place it on the stove.
- Add 2 tsp. ghee to the pan and heat it.
- Now, add coconut and roast it.
- Roast until the coconut turns golden brownish in colour.
- Transfer it to a bowl and keep it aside.
- Now, Mash the chopped bananas.
- Clean the pan using a dry cloth and again place it on the stove.
- Add 250 grams of mashed bananas in the pan.
- Add cardamom powder, ginger powder, and cumin powder in the pan and mix it well.
- Now, add 2 tsp. of til (sesame seeds). Mix them well.
- Add Rice flour and baking soda in the pan and mix everything well.
- Do not let formation of lumps in the pan.
- Keep it aside and proceed further.
- Now, take appapatram pan and clean it with a dry cloth.
- Add 1 tsp. ghee in each mould.
- Now, add the mixture from the pan and fill the mould.
- Place the appapatram pan on the gas.
- Turn on the flame and set it to medium.
- Check the banana appam from the bottom and flip if they are cooked from one side.
- Cook the banana appam properly both the sides. Apply more oil if needed.
- It will turn into golden colour when they are ready.
- Once they are cooked, transfer them to a plate.
- Do this for remaining banana appam mixture.
- Serve it hot.
This is a sweet appam is a quick snack which can be made for any special occasions. It can be packed for tiffin’s, or prepared for the potluck. As it is sweet, you can serve it in dessert as well. With minimal ingredients, you can make soft and sweet banana appam at home. It is one of the delicious ways to use over-ripped bananas. Transform the leftover banana into something sweet dish instantly.
Calories: 84 calories
- Total Time: PT50M
- Serves: 10
- Date Published: 2017-02-06
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
- You can buy the appapatram pan here.
- You can use Jaggery powder if you have it.
- If you are not using coconut in the recipe, you can skip the steps with coconut.
- Use thick bottom hard anodized saucepan for this recipe. It will help you control the heat.
- You can either use black or while til depending on what you have.
- You can also skip using baking soda. But adding it will improve the taste and eating experience.
- You can bake this banana appam. Add 2 tbsp. of coconut oil in batter and mix. Bake till they are golden.
- The banana appam batter can be stored in the fridge. It would stay good for a day.
- You can use blender and make a banana puree instead of mashing the bananas.
Serving & Garnishing:
- Serve Banana appams with tomato ketchup or any type of dip.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves over them when serving.
- You can even apply Chaat masala for giving it desi touch.
- I also like appams with the spicy vegetable Sambar.
- But as banana appam is a sweet appam, I prefer it with coconut chutney or coriander chutney.