This Cabbage Vada Recipe is one of the best ways to use the leftover cabbage. Here, the cabbage is chopped and mixed with the healthy lentils. It is then flavoured with whole spices and spice powders. These delicious cabbage vada’s are exceptionally hearty, healthy, tasty and easy to make. This snack dish is the deep-fried fritters made from finely chopped cabbage, ground lentils, and seasoned with few spices. This savoury snack is refreshing and light to have on the stomach.
- Author: Vishal Agrawal
- Recipe Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: Indian
Description: This is an instant snack recipe which can be prepared quickly with minimal and basic ingredients. The Vada are crispy and crunchy from outside with soft inside filling. This is an Urad dal version but there are different versions of cabbage Vada. This is a perfect spicy tea-time snack. This tasty Cabbage Vada can be made easily.
Ingredients for Cabbage Vada Recipe:
- Cabbage / Patta Gobi (finely chopped) – 2 cups
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera) – ½ tsp.
- Black Pepper (Kali Mirch) – ½ tsp.
- Green Chilli (chopped) – 1 unit.
- Ginger (finely chopped) – ½ inch
- Chana Dal – ½ cup
- Urad Dal – ½ cup
- Coriander Leaves (Dhania Patta) – 3 tsp.
- Curry Leaves (Kadi Patta) – 2 tsp.
- Fennel Seeds (Saunf) – ½ tsp.
- Asafoetida (Hing) – 1 pinch.
- Salt – As per taste
- Oil – As required.
Note: You can use either red or green cabbage. The purple cabbage gives colour to the Vada. You may use chopped onions as well.
Method for Cabbage Vada Recipe:
- Take Urad dal and pick stones from it.
- Remove all the other impurities from the Dal.
- Do the same for Chana dal as well. (Discard the dirt.)
- Now, take a bowl and add both the dals in it.
- Add enough water in the bowl.
- Soak these Dals overnight (minimum 5-6 hours).
- Take cabbage and wash it.
- Now, finely chop the cabbage and keep it aside.
- Take curry leaves, coriander leaves, ginger and garlic.
- Chop these 4 ingredients as well. You can grate ginger if you wish.
- After 5 hours, remove the water from the bowl and drain the lentils.
- Now, take a mixer-grinder and clean its jar with a dry cloth.
- Add the soaked dal in the jar and grind it.
- Add water if required.
- Once the lentils are grinded into a smooth batter, transfer them into a bowl.
- Now, take another jar and add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, black pepper in it.
- Grind these ingredients to the smooth powder.
- After grinding the spices, add them into the bowl of grinded dals.
- Mix the spices and dal.
- Add the chopped cabbage, coriander leaves, chopped ginger, chopped garlic and curry leaves in the batter.
- Now, add asafoetida and salt in the cabbage Vada batter.
- Mix everything nicely.
- Taste the cabbage Vada batter and adjust the spices.
- If you want, you can add red chilli powder as well. It is optional.
- After tasting the batter, keep it aside and proceed further.
- Take a deep non-stick kadhai and place it over the gas.
- Add oil for frying and turn on the flame.
- Heat the oil and wait for it to get hot enough to fry cabbage Vada.
- Once the oil is hot, drop one spoon of the cabbage Vada batter in the oil.
- Make 4-5 vada’s at a time.
- Fry the cabbage Vada evenly until they become crispy.
- Once the cabbage Vada are fried, transfer them into a plate.
- Do this for complete Vada batter.
- Use a kitchen towel or paper napkins to remove excess oil.
- Serve them Hot.
Calories: 275 calories
- Total Time: PT25M
- Serves: 3
- Date Published: 2017-02-08
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
- You can use mortar-pestle and crush black pepper, cumin seeds and fennel seeds instead of grinding them. It can enhance the taste.
- If you want to make cabbage Vada in the morning, you must soak the lentils overnight.
- If you want to make cabbage Vada in the evening, you can soak the lentils same day in the morning.
- If you wish, you can add soda in the batter as well. But I recommend you not to use.
- For the healthier version, you can bake the Vada. But the taste and texture would be different.
- You can add other vegetables such as carrot, beans etc. along with cabbage.
- You can make the Vada with either only Chana Dal or Urad Dal.
Serving & Garnishing:
The preparation of the cabbage Vada is similar to regular Medu Vada. The chopped cabbage has the same crunch and pungent smell which is similar to onion in the Medu Vada. The difference is the Medu Vada and Cabbage Vada is only of the main ingredient. Here we have used cabbage as a core element of the dish and onion is skipped. The fennel seeds add slight sweetness to this spicy snack.