This Kala Chana Chaat recipe is very simple and quick to make. It completely makes justice with the word Chaat, this is because chatakedar spices are added in it like Chaat masala, lemon juice etc. It is very simple and easy to make this Chaat at home if you have the dry or cooked black chickpeas in your kitchen. It is an absolute creative idea to convert the healthy chickpeas into the tasty Chaat form. This Chaat is a mix of spicy, tangy, salty, sweet and tart flavors.
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
Kala Chana Chaat was something which I have heard a lot about but unfortunately, I haven’t tasted it until once when we went to Shimla. I had tasted their version of this Chana Chaat. There in the toy train, the vendor was selling this Kala healthy and tasty Chana Chaat. He also mixed fried yellow Chana dal in it. Here I have not added the yellow Chana dal to give an authentic flavor. You can be flexible with the recipe and add any other Dal or spices of your choice to make it more flavorful.
Black chickpeas are very nutritious. They provide the high amount of protein. Even it is advised to have black chickpeas during pregnancy. Now pregnancy is a time when we like to eat spicy food so ladies you can have this Kala Chana Chaat! It is almost a no-cook recipe if you have already cooked black chickpeas. In this case, you do not need to soak the chickpea overnight and then the only thing left would be to mix the ingredients. This Chaat has a balance of various taste and flavors in it.
All these flavors of spices and herbs will burst in your mouth as you soon as you take its first bite. This colorful and flavorful Chaat is immensely healthful as well. It has a smooth and crunchy texture with the sweet aroma. You can make this Chaat mildly spicy or extremely hot as per your choice. So just get ready to again give a blast of flavors to your palate. Make this very handy Chaat at home and enjoy it during breakfast or for a weekend brunch. If you have canned chickpeas then it’s a matter of few minutes to make this at home.
- Total time of preparation required for Kala Chana Chaat Recipe is 15 minutes.
- The mentioned proportion of ingredients in this recipe serves 3 people.
- You can use canned chickpeas also. The benefit of using canned chickpeas is that the Chaat gets ready within 5 minutes.
- A number of spices can be varied according to your taste.
- The same recipe can be made with white or green chickpeas also.
- You can add boiled potatoes also. Even you can add the grated carrots or the chopped cucumbers.
- Some Sev can also be added to it. Thus will give a crunchy texture to the Chaat.
- The Chaat can also be served chilled.
- If you do not eat onions, then skip adding them. You can instead add the boil potatoes to balance the flavors.
- You may prepare the tempering of whole spices like cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaf for this Chaat if you want to make it hot.
You can serve the Kala Chana Chaat warm or cold. Serve it along with a cold refresher or a hot beverage accompanied by the toasted bread. Mentioned below are some interesting garnish options for this Chaat from black chickpeas:
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- You can sprinkle some Sev also.
- Place some lemon wedges over the Chaat bowl.
- Drizzle any of your favorite spicy, tangy or sweet chutney. It would give both flavor and color to your Chaat.
- Top the Kala Chana Chaat with some of the pomegranate seeds.
- To make the Chaat healthy, use the steamed sprout beans.
- You can use Mint Leaves instead of Cilantro Leaves. It would give its own unique refreshing flavors to the Chaat.
- For the healthier version, you can sprout these black chickpeas and then keep them to boil.
- Fry the green peas, toss them in the spice powders and add them to the Chaat.
- The Sprinkle of Garam masala powder and Chaat masala powder would impart the exciting flavors to this Kala Chana Chaat.
- In the season of monsoon, mix the sweet corns in the Chaat.
- The best chutney to add would be the fresh tamarind date chutney or just the tamarind pulp.
The Healthy treat of this Kala Chana Chaat is a great idea. It has an awesome blend of taste and flavors of various ingredients. Both the taste and texture are very appealing. It would be an instant winning dish if you make it for the small parties at your place. This healthy Chaat is not yummy but also highly tummy filling snack. Usually, with the name of Chaat, we think is not nice for kids as it won’t be healthy. But this is one Chaat dish which you can give to your kids and they will also love eating it.
This Chaat has a very interesting combination of Chana with other veggies and spices. This refreshing Chaat is delicious to eat and we can rejoice its every bite. You can make it colorful by adding different seasonal or fresh veggies. Each and every ingredient would infuse its own flavor and aroma to the Chaat making it highly flavorful and aromatic. If you are to throw some party then this would be an excellent starter option for you home parties. You can even have this Chaat for your any day evening snack with the cup of hot tea or coffee. It is among the few healthful snack recipes which are hard to find. It is also one of the great options when you are looking for food which is easy to make and gets prepared fast. This delicious Chaat has a fusion of your favorite raw mangoes in it which makes it even more amazing. You can make it spicy or make it tangy or make it sweet. Give this Chaat your customized version and make according to your choice.
With the proper garnishing and drizzle of chutney, this chickpea Chana would look very yummy. If you love Chana, then you must definitely give a try. It is so easy that even the non-chefs can give a try to make it. Even if you are making it for the first time, then do not worry as it does not require much work. You only have to get the required ingredients, cook the chickpea, chop the vegetables, and mix these ingredients with each other. The nutty flavors of the Chana get mixed with the tanginess of the raw green unripe mangoes. The pungent onions get blends with the mushy boiled potatoes. The pulpy tomatoes infuse the tartness and the citric lemon juice gives a bit of sour taste.
The preparation of this Chana Chaat from the black chickpeas is very much similar to the Chaat made from green chickpea. There is only a difference of the type of chickpea and the drizzle of your favorite chutney. Whereas all the other side ingredients are same and even the time required to make both of Chaat is also similar. In the western zone, it is also popularly known as Black chickpea Salad. For all the lovers of the Chatpata Chaat, you can try to make various different types of Chaat at home. Having a twist of Chaat in your food, make your food interesting and even you would love to eat the food items which are boring otherwise.