The Kadhi is a popular Indian food known with the various name. It is similar to the ‘curry’ we make but with the thick consistency. It is known by different names in different regions. It is also made differently and its preparation varies from one place to another. This Coconut Kadhi recipe is the traditional south Indian Kadhi with the mild, subtle and yet a bit spicy flavors. It has creamy and smooth texture because of coconut milk.
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
It has creamy and smooth texture because of coconut milk. The Coconut milk infuses its creamy texture to this Kadhi. It also gives it a mellow flavor to this tasty and healthy Kadhi. Only the addition of coconut milk is enough for this comforting dish. This Kadhi with minimal ingredients is light to have on the stomach and yet feels so rich in taste. It is one such rare Indian food which is not too spicy and yet has strong and intense flavours.
Apart from the coconut milk, the Kadhi is made from the combination of curd and corn flour mixture. It also has the blend of spices for tempering and few veggies of your choice. The addition no tamarind pulp is optional, it gives the tagines to the Kadhi. The corn flour binds the Kadhi and helps to gain thickness, but you can also use Besan. The most common ingredients such as onions, ginger, and are skipped in this recipe but you can add if you want. They would add to the flavour, taste and fragrance of this delicious Kadhi.
- Do not add too much water in the mixture or it will take too long for coconut Kadhi to get thick.
- You can adjust the quantity of corn flour according to you. Do not add too much.
- If you want, you can increase the quantity of coconut milk as well.
- Instead of corn flour, you can also use Besan in this Coconut Kadhi Recipe. Combine curd and water with besan
- For the spicier version, you can add 1 tsp. grated ginger as well.
- You can do the tempering of cumin seeds, mustard seeds, onions, ginger-garlic paste and green chillies.
- The spice powders like red chilli powder, Garam masala powder, and turmeric powder can also be added in this Kadhi.
- You can also add veggies like potatoes, cauliflower, pumpkin, beans, and carrots.
- The Split Black Gram (Urad Dal) can be added to make the coconut Kadhi.
- If you want the little tanginess in the Kadhi, then add tamarind pulp.
Transfer this hot coconut Kadhi from the pan to the serving bowl. Serve it hot and warm. The Kadhi does not stay good for a longer time, so it must be eaten as soon as it is made. Also, it is not a good option to re-heat the Kadhi as the Curd will begin to Curd which would spoil the taste and texture of Kadhi.
Just the way Kadi is made differently, it is also served differently in various regions. Unlike in the North India, South Indian Kadhi does not include gram flour fritters or turmeric powder. The Gujarati’s have the Kadhi is altogether different manner. Here are the few serving ideas for this Kadhi:
- Serve the coconut Kadhi hot with Yummy Samosas!
- Drizzle the Hot coconut Kadhi over any type of steamed Rice.
- You can have the coconut Kadhi with the Plain Paratha or Roti as well.
- At some places, people also dip the dumpling (or Pakora) in this coconut Kadhi.
- This Kadhi will complement Chana Dal Khichdi perfectly well!
The aromatic smell of this Coconut Kadhi is highly tempting. The strong smell of the coconut Kadhi, when it is being made, is irresistible. But with proper garnishing, you can make it look more attractive and appealing to eyes. Garnish it with:
- Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Broken and Fried Red Chillies
- Grated Coconut
- Cooked Kokum
- This coconut Kadhi can be made instantly in the microwave as well.
- Make you Coconut Kadhi extra nutritious by adding mixed vegetables.
- If using the vegetables, microwave or boil the veggies until tender.
- To balance the taste of the sourness of curd, you add sugar or Jaggery.
- This Kadhi uses coconut milk and curd, but you can use yogurt or buttermilk instead of curd.
- You can enhance the flavours of this dish with the use of grated coconut as well.
If you do not want to make the Coconut Kadhi in the pan then you can quickly make it in the Microwave. Check below for the recipe of Coconut Kadhi made in the microwave.
Coconut Kadhi (Microwave Recipe) recipe:
This delicious and delectable coconut Kadhi is made instantly using the microwave oven. If you are in hurry, then follow this quicker and simpler microwave recipe for coconut Kadhi:
- Ingredients: All the ingredients will remain same as above. But if you want, you can twist with the original recipe and change or add ingredients. Here are we are using the similar ingredients as above.
- First, you have to combine the corn flour with the water. Mix it well and then add curd to this bowl. Just like above, whisk everything well. Make sure there are no lumps remain. Keep this bowl of mixture aside.
- Now, take a microwave safe deep bowl and keep the oil in it to heat for a minute.
- Now, when the oil is sufficiently hot, take the bowl out and add all the remaining ingredients. (Do not add the mixture of curd and corn flour with water. Also keep the coconut milk for later use. )
- Mix well and keep to microwave these dry ingredients for more 2 minutes.
- After 1 minutes, stop the microwave and stir once. Then again keep for 1 minute.
- Now, pour the fresh coconut milk. Also, add the cornflower and curd mixture.
- Mix everything and keep the bowl in the microwave on high for 3 more minutes.
- Stir in between if required, and your Coconut Kadhi is ready instantly!
Though the Kadhi is a most well-known vegetarian dish, it is made in various ways. You can also give the Kadhi innovation variations and make it interesting to eat. You mix many vegetables, fried fritters or spice powders in it. The basic core ingredient is the yogurt or Curd which gives its own distinctive sour and tangy flavor. The Kadhi can be mild or spicy. This is easy to cook family dish, which can be prepared in minutes.
The coconut Kadhi or any other Kadhi is considered good for health. It is recommended to have it when you have digestion problem or an upset tummy. The ingredients like Curd and other spices used in making Kadhi have digestive properties.
Variation in Coconut Kadhi Recipe: If you are willing to try something new with the regular Coconut Kadhi then try to give it the taste of Palak. It the healthy variation of the original Kadhi made from the only coconut. This delicious Kadhi is flavourful, healthful and colorful due to the addition of hearty Palak. The flavors of the Kadhi are enhanced with the vibrant green colored Palak Puree. The addition of coconut milk infuses the creamy texture and subtle mildness. Add the spices of your choice and treat your taste buds.