In mango rice recipe you get spiced and tangy rice made from raw mango. It is an South Indian dish. In this dish there is a perfect balance of sweet and tangy flavor. Tartness of raw mango, sweetness of coconut and heat if red chilies balance very well in the dish. The tempering of mustard seeds and curry leaves takes it to a new level. I know till now your mouth is water filled!
- Author: Chandni Agrawal
- Recipe Category: Rice Dish
- Cuisine: Indian
Description: This dish can be served as a side dish. This dish is also known as mavinakayi chitranna. Here I have puree the mango but it can be grated also. So get ready to make the dish!
Ingredients for Mango Rice Recipe:
- Rice – 1½ cup
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Oil – ½ tsp
- Water – 2 ½ cup
- Coconut grated – ½ cup
- Mango – 1½ cup
- Dry red chili – 3-4 pieces
- Green chili chopped – 1 piece
- Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
- Peanuts – 2 tsp
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Dry red chili – 2-2 pieces
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Chana dal/ split Bengal gram – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Peanuts – 3-4 tbsp
- Asafetida a pinch of
- Turmeric powder/ haldi – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – 10-12 pieces
- Salt to taste.
Steps for Making Mango Rice Recipe:
- Soak rice in water for 20 minutes.
- Drain water and in a pressure cooker add rice and 2½ cup water. Also add salt and ½ tsp of oil. Cook for 2 whistles on high flame.
- You can also cook rice in a pot or in a open pan but you need to add more water in it .
- Let the air from the pressure cooker escape from its own before opening the lid.
- Take out the rice in a bowl and let it to cool. When the rice us warm cover it with a lid so that the rice is not dried.
- When rice is cooking meanwhile wash, peel and chop the mango.
- In a mixer grinder jar add 1 cup chopped mango, 3-4 dry red chillies ( broken and deseeded ), 1 tsp sesame seeds, 1 chopped green chili, 2 tsp peanuts, ½ cup grated coconut.
- Without adding water grind in a semi fine paste I.e. slightly coarse paste. Keep it aside.
- Now in a pan add 3 tbsp of oil heat it. When oil gets hot add 3-4 tbsp of peanuts.
- Fry the peanuts on a low flame.
- Now add mustard seeds and let them crackle. Along with the dals add curry leaves and dry red chili also. Now add chana dal and urad dal. Fry until the dal become golden brown.
- Now add a pinch of asefoetida and ¼ tsp of haldi.
- Now add the paste which we made of mango and coconut and spices.
- Mix well and fry for 3-4 minutes. Now add salt to taste. Switch off the flame. Take the pan down from the stove.
- Now add the cooked rice in the pan.
- Now gently mix the paste and rice.
- Mango rice is ready to eat.
Calories: 124 calories
- Total Time: PT40M
- Serves: 4
- Date Published: 2016-08-14
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
You May Also Like:
- Take rice in a nice plate and garnish with green coriander leaves and grated coconut.
- Mango rice can be served with
- fried papad
- Total time of cooking is 40 minutes.
- It serves 4 people.
- To balance the tanginess of mango a pinch of jaggery can be added.
- If dry red chili is not available 2-3 green chili can also be added.
- Mixing of rice can also be done in small batches if you feel difficult to mix all at once.
Image Credit : i.ytimg.com via PolkaCafe