The most popular traditional south Indian preparation of food from rice is Khichdi. It is a great food to prepare on lazy weekends. It is the most comfort dishes in the chilled winter days. This healthy and nutrient rich Palak Khichdi tastes delicious and instantly satisfies our hunger. Though Khichdi seems to be a small food entity, but this variation with Palak makes a big twist. The addition of fresh and seasonal green colour Palak makes Khichdi healthful, colourful and flavorful. The Palak Khichdi Recipe is easy to make and healthy to eat.
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
This not so fancy Palak Khichdi is the best one pot meal dish one can prepare in minutes. The kids may not appreciate it but the working ladies would prefer to make it often. It requires less work, less time and fewer efforts to make the nutrient rich Palak Khichdi. The Spinach is a powerhouse of proteins, nutrients and vitamins which are essential for our body.
This delicious, tasty, tummy-filling and hunger satisfying Palak Khichdi is a good way to consume Palak. The Palak puree gives its own colour to the Khichdi, whereas the spices add their own taste to the boring Khichdi.
- If you do not have the ginger-garlic paste, then you can make it easily. (Check ginger-garlic paste recipe)
- You can add Chana dal too along with moong dal. It will also taste good.
- You can use Packed Spinach puree if you don’t like to make the puree at home.
- You can grind the puree using the hand blender as well.
- While pressure cooking, do not add excess water otherwise khichdi will be too thin.
- To make this Khichdi gluten free, skip the addition of Hing.
- If you want to use any other vegetables apart from onions, tomatoes and potatoes in this Khichdi, then you can. You are free to add any fresh or seasonal veggies of your choice.
- As soon as you wash the rice and dal, you can dry roast them and then add to Khichdi. This will help Khichdi to remain mushy.
- The quantity of water is adjusted as per your preference. Always use more water than what you would require for cooking rice.
- The recipe can be doubled or tripled as per the number of servings.
Take out Khichdi from the cooker to the serving dish. You can serve it with the spicy or tangy pickle. Pair it with the chilled crunchy Salad and the crispy Papad. To make the Khichdi moist you can have any vegetable curry to pour over it or any type of Raita to dip. Below mentioned are the few interesting ideas to serve the Khichdi:
- Add 1/2 tsp ghee over hot Palak Khichdi. It will enhance the taste.
- Serve hot Palak Khichdi with Salted curd or Plain curd as you like.
- People in Gujarat likes Khichdi with salted buttermilk.
- Hot Khichdi drizzled with melted Ghee along with mango pickle and fried Masala Papad is the most delicious and healthy food you can ever have.
The Khichdi alone makes a complete meal with just a cup of plain curd. This delicious Khichdi is extremely hearty to have. But at times, kids may avoid eating it. So, make it look more attractive and tempt their taste buds. Garnish the Palak Khichdi with:
- Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Fried Onion Rings
- Dry Red Chilli
- Circular Chopped Radish
- For the Palak Khichdi to taste best, always serve it hot.
- If you do not want your Palak Khichdi to be tangy, skip the addition of tomatoes.
- You can add a pinch of sugar in the spinach puree if you want.
- You can substitute Toor Dal with Chana Dal.
- If there is some leftover Palak Khichdi, then you can store it. This Khichdi can be reused to make Paratha.
This mouth-watering Palak Khichdi can be a good lunch box recipe. This combination of pulses with Spinach makes it highly nutritious. Though a one dish meal, you can have it with the hot Palak Soup in the winter to warm yourself. It is best to make on the days you are looking for a light meal without much of cooking. It is healthy, hearty and low in calorie. The green texture makes is appealing and its flavours are appetizing.
There are many ways you can prepare Palak Khichdi Recipe. You can tweak the original recipe and use any other Dal. To make it quickly, roughly chop spinach and sauté in cooker. Then add soaked rice and lentil, pressure cook and finally add tempering. This is the quicker version where you mix the chopped spinach with the cooked rice and Dal. Lastly, do the tempering and season with fresh herbs. The simple version from the collection of various Khichdi recipe is Chana Dal Khichdi. You can also prepare Vegetable Khichdi with the mixed vegetables.