Masala rice is a rice dish in which plain rice is tempered and vegetables are added to it along with spices. If you are bored of eating plain rice all the time and you want a change in your routine dal rice you can try this masala rice recipe. Masala rice is a dish which I prepare when I have left over rice at home.
- Author: Chandni Agrawal
- Recipe Category: Rice Dish
- Cuisine: Indian
Description: Masala Rice is also one of those dishes which is liked by almost everyone. Check out this recipe and make it for your kids or partner.
Ingredients for Masala Rice Recipe:
- Cooked plain rice – 2 cups (use patanjli basmati rice)
- Onion chopped – 2 tbsp
- Tomato chopped – 2 tbsp
- Carrot slit vertically – 2 tbsp
- Green peas – 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder/ haldi – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Green chili chopped – 1 tsp
- Jeera/ cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds/ rai – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – 4-5 leaves
- Green coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Oil – 1½ tbsp
Note: Blanched carrot and green peas is to used. Use saffola oil for cooking.
Method for Masala Rice Recipe:
- Chop all the vegetables.
- Heat oil in a wok or kadhai. When oil gets hot add mustard seeds. Let them crackle. (buy kadai online)
- Now add cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Keep the flame medium. Now add chopped onions and green chili. Fry until they become translucent.
- Now add chopped tomatoes. Fry until the raw smell leaves.
- Now add carrot and green peas. Fry for 1 minute.
- Now add red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
- Now add the rice. Mix well so that the spices and vegetables get mixed properly with the rice.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 2 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the stove.
- Masala rice is ready.
Note: Rice has to be on room temperature if hot rice is used the dish will become mushy.
Calories: 200 calories
- Total Time: PT30M
- Serves: 3
- Date Published: 2016-08-20
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
Here vegetables like onion, tomato, carrot, green peas, French beans etc are added. Thus it is a combo of taste and health both. The choice and quantity of vegetables depends on your choice. This dish is a very good tiffin recipe for your child. Just you need to use fresh cooked rice instead of leftover one.
Too keep it simple and a basic daily routine dish I have not added much spices like bay leaf, cinnamon etc. The dish is even very quick to make if you have plain rice already cooked.If you have left over rice of last night and you are in a hurry you can make this dish in the breakfast next morning. So just follow the steps and make a very simple masala rice recipe.
- Garnish with green coriander leaves.
- Serve with :
- Plain curd
- Stir fried vegetables
- Tadka dal
- Total time of cooking is 15 minutes
- Serves 3 people
- For blanching carrot and peas boil them in water for 8-10 minutes.
- Chopped celery can also be used.
- Dry herbs can also be added.
- If refrigerated rice is used take them out of refrigerator before one hour.