Looking for a scrumptious snack for an evening tea break? Here is the simplest form of steamed Kothimbir Vadi, which is a snack made healthier. The Kothimbir Vadi Recipe is the classic snack dish of Maharashtrian Cuisine. The delicious and tasty Kothimbir Vadi is Maharashtra’s popular snack filled with a variety of ingredients. It is the classic dish with the combination of health with taste.
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
The chopped roasted nuts spread the nutty aroma and give the crunch to the snack. You make the mixture of basic components like coriander leaves, curd and chickpea flour with a sprinkle of spices. You steam them and cut into equal sized wedges. Lastly, dip them in the oil to fry them to make a crispy and crunchy snack. This dish is easy to learn and delicious to eat. It can be made quickly.
Health quotient can be ignored for this yummy snack especially in monsoon. But if you are strictly on diet, then you can steam and have them without comprising with health. It is the same method that has been used below. Though this snack is highly calorific, you can still reduce some calories by using low-fat curd and add a sweetener in place of sugar. You can skip using dry fruits or nuts if you want.
- Use Saffola active oil when making this dish
- The Recipe of Kothimbir Vadi can be prepared in 30 minutes or less time, where the preparation time is 10-12 minutes and the cooking time is 20 minutes.
- This recipe serves 3 to 4 people. If you want to make Kothimbir Vadi for more people, then increase the proportion of ingredients
- You may add ingredients of your choice to for the filling of fritter.
- The use of ginger-garlic paste or the coconut milk enriches the flavor of the dish.
- Ensure that the exterior of the snack is crispy whereas the filling is soft. Keep the flame low while frying for better results.
- The batter should be thick and consistent. This will give proper shape to the rolls.
- You can also use the microwave or the pressure cooker for making. Even you if want, if you can deep fry the Kothimbir Vadi.
- If you want spicier, you can add chopped green chillies or green chilli paste.
- The steamed Kothimbir Vadi can be refrigerated. If you are planning to store it then do not add the tempering over it.
- The addition of little sourness can do wonders to the batter of Kothimbir Vadi.
The Kothimbir Vadi is itself very tempting as the aroma of the steamed Kothimbir Vadi spreads all over the area. Whenever you saute the spices for tempering, they also become highly fragrant. Thus, the dish itself is aromatic and can easily catch anyone’s attention. But you can make it more attractive with proper plating. Garnish the Kothimbir Vadi with:
- Coriander Leaves
- Half Split Green Chilies
- Roasted Nuts
- Fried Onion Ring
- Desiccated Coconut
The popular crispy snack is a perfect “Tea Partner”, especially in rains. Make your tea time tasty! It can also be served as a side snack along with full meal dish. Make your meals a complete dish which can be relished by your family and friends. Below are some serving ideas for the Kothimbir Vadi:
- To make it spicy, you can pair Kothimbir Vadi with any chutney.
- If you like, you may even dip in the pickle and eat.
- Serve the favorite Maharashtrian snack with a small bowl of tomato ketchup.
- It goes best when served with green colored coriander chutney.
- You may also keep some chips in the plate for the crunchiness.
- You can have it with evening Masala Chai or cup of hot coffee
- For all the health buffs, you can have this healthy snack with refreshing ginger tea or green tea.
- You can have it plain with sweetened curd as well.
- It can also be eaten with the mild-flavored coconut chutney.
- You can skip the frying portion and serve the steamed Kothimbir Vadi. Frying enhances their taste and texture a bit.
- You can prepare this Kothimbir Vadi a couple of days ahead. Prepare the Vadi, refrigerate it and then fry it before serving.
- You can add a spoon of tamarind pulp to add sourness to the batter.
- If you want the batter to rise quickly, then you can use ¼ tsp. baking soda.
- Instead of sugar, you can add grated Jaggery.
- You can also add roasted peanuts. Crush and add to infuse the nutty flavors.
- If you prepare Garam masala powder at home and if you have stored it, then add little of it.
|30 minutes||3 to 4 people||2400 cal|
One bite of this snack is enough to reveal the zest of Maharashtrian food and snack. The core ingredient used in the making of this lovely and delicious snack is Coriander Leaves, which are also known as “Kothimbir”, and thus the name of the dish. The green colored coriander leaves are extremely nutritious and their consumption is highly beneficial for a hearty health.
They are rich in vitamin K and are cholesterol free. They contain essential fibers, oils, proteins and are antioxidants. They prevent the other food items from getting spoiled. When they are cooked, they release a strong fragrance of their citrusy flavors. They have their own texture, taste, and color which retains in the whole dish and is not overpowered by any other flavor.
There are other ingredients such as curd, chickpea flour, spices, seeds, lemon juice, and nuts which are added in this recipe. This delectable dish can be customized by choosing the different variation of ingredients in the fritter. Even you can be flexible with the method of its preparation. It is handy to prepare at home and gets cooked within minutes if all the ingredients for the mixture are readily available.
Kothimbir Vadi can be created in several ways. But the majority of the people prefer to steam cook the Vadi. The steamed Kothimbir Vadi is very much similar to the baked cakes with the difference that it is a savory preparation. This is also known as Cilantro Vadi Recipe where the first you have to steam it and then later shallow fry the Kothimbir Vadi. Apart from Kothimbir Vadi, you can use coriander leaves for making steamed Coriander Rice which is mild is taste and good for health.
The preparation of the Kothimbir Vadi is very much similar to the famous Gujarati snack Khaman-Dhokla. Any type of Dhokla, whether it is khaman or normal dhokla can be prepared in the steamer. Same is the case with this tasty Maharashtrian snack. The steaming makes it healthy as there is very little oil used in its making. Even the simple south Indian idli is prepared by the method of steaming.
This coriander fritter recipe is the easiest and the healthiest snack recipe. It is even quicker to prepare it in the microwave than the usual steamer or pressure cooker. Also, it is easier to clean when compared with pots, pans, and cooker. It is a hassle free method which makes Kothimbir Vadi with fewer efforts. Make delicious Kothimbir Vadis at home with ease. They have the richness of cashew nuts and nutty aroma of roasted peanuts. Below mentioned are the steps to make it in the microwave oven.
Make Kothimbir Vadi in Microwave:
- Wash and chop the coriander leaves.
- Make the ginger-garlic paste.
- Prepare the cashew paste.
- Mix all these ingredients with water.
- Add little Curd and form a smooth batter.
- Knead well to form the thick batter.
- Take a microwave safe bowl or cooker.
- Brush its base and sides with little oil.
- Pour the batter mixture into the microwave safe bowl.
- Cover the bowl microwave-safe lid.
- Keep the mixture in microwave for 3 minutes.
- It has to be kept at high speed.
- Wait till the mixture is evenly cooked.
- The mixture should be cooked and firm.
- To check, insert a toothpick and test it.
- If the batter is uncooked, microwave it again.
- Take the bowl out and let the batter cool.
- Then remove the steamed cake on a tray.
- Cut it into diamond shaped or square shaped slices.
- Shallow fry or deep fry or pan fry in hot oil.
- Fry till become browned and turn crisp evenly.
Alternate Method for Tempering the Kothimbir Vadi:
- Heat the oil in a small nonstick pan.
- Add the sesame seeds and mustard seeds.
- Also, add cumin seeds and Asafoetida.
- When they splutter add the steamed Vadi.
- Mix in the fresh grated coconut.
- Toss the Kothimbir Vadi well in the spice tempering.
Image Credit : Monsoon Spice