Made a fantastic tasting dish? Yet, you feel something missing in the taste of the dish? It is the addition of this Versatile and Vibrant flavored Garam Masala that enriches the flavors of our dishes. This strong and spicy masala infuses wonderful flavor to many Indian dishes. This Masala Powder is popular and available at various superstores but homemade fresh masala is always the best. This Garam Masala Recipe is nothing but the powdered form of spice mixes. It is easy and simple to make at home.
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
The spices when roasted and ground, they release a very tempting aroma. This Garam masala spreads a strong smell all over the kitchen when you add it to your food while cooking. The various whole spices used in the recipe, gives strong and spicy taste to the powder. Ginger and garlic when roasted becomes aromatic and leaves their raw smell.
This recipe of Garam masala is too good to taste and also very nice for health. It instantly makes a difference in our everyday food. A pinch of Garam Masala and the taste of the whole dish is taken to another level. It is very simple to prepare Masala but keep some points in mind before grinding spices. This Indian Spice Mix Masala is flavourful and healthful.
This Garam Masala made from common Indian condiments is one of the essential Indian spice mixes. It used in all the types of Indian Food but especially added in the north Indian dishes. Also, the addition of the masala is very crucial, if you add more then it may ruin the taste. A small pinch of Garam Masala and you can re-create the magic of the regular dish.
Suggestions for Garam Masala Recipe:
- The first step is to check the spices for cleanliness.
- Secondly, scan these spices for impurities.
- Thirdly discard the hidden mold or fungi or insects.
- Always use fresh spices and not old or expired.
- Sun dry the spices properly.
- Roast the spices in a pan or oven
- Use true cinnamon for making the spice mix.
- Cleaning the whole spices properly is very important process otherwise, you won’t find the garam masala good in taste.
- When keeping the spices under the sun, make sure the place is dry.
- Place the plate such that more impurities cannot add into it.
- After keeping them under the sun, clean and remove impurities from them again.
- Do not forget to keep changing the position of the plate according to the sun direction.
- Keep the plate inside during the night.
- Keep away and save the spice plate from animals.
- When grinding the powder, you can sieve the powder once and grind the tiny bits separately. Or even let the tiny particles stay in the powder.
- Store garam masala powder in cool and dry place only.
- You can keep Garam Masala in the fridge as well as in the freezer.
Garam masala tastes best when added at the end of cooking of any vegetable dish. You can also sprinkled on a dish exactly before serving.
You can add this Garam Masala to your everyday meal such plain or spicy dal. Its addition in the vegetable curry or Punjabi subzi is super. You may also use it to make various Indian snacks like stuffing of Sandwich and Samosa. This spicy masala mixture can then be used in soups too.
For the eggetarian folks, you can just sprinkle this over some scrambled eggs.
- The packet of Garam Masala is also available in the market but homemade fresh Garam Masala tastes best.
- You can also dry roast these whole spices before grinding them. Skip roasting nutmeg and ginger powder.
- Add the green and the black cardamom as a whole. Do not peel off their covering as they have some flavor in it.
- You must dry roast these whole spices individually and separately one after the other.
- You may substitute the whole nutmeg with the 1 tbsp. of nutmeg powder.
- Though you can store the Garam Masala, it’s always better to make in small quantity as the aroma dissappers with time.
How to Make Punjabi Garam Masala Recipe?
There is a slight and minor difference between the regular Garam Masala and the Punjabi version of Garam Masala. Though different, they both taste same and do heavenly change to the taste of your dish. For the Punjabi Garam Masala Recipe, you will need coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaf, nutmeg, black pepper powder, dry ginger, black cardamoms and green cardamoms. Dry these whole spices in sun, roast them and grind them to powder.
How to Dry Rose Petals?
If the roses you are using have stems, then break them off and discard. Wash the roses after you separate leaves from the stem. You can keep petals to dry in the shade when there is no heavy sunlight. Spread the petals of the rose in the large plate and cover the plate. You can use muslin or cotton cloth. Let these petals dry.
How to Add Cardamoms?
If you are using black and green cardamoms to make sweet, then only use their seeds. You can use either in the powdered form or the whole seeds. For the Punjabi curries, you may add powdered green cardamoms. Whereas, the black cardamom seeds can be crushed or added as a whole. You can also roast the cardamoms seeds before grinding them to powder form.
Which is the exact proportion to add Garam Masala?
Adding too much of the Garam masala is your dish can bitter the taste. The strong taste and flavors of Garam Masala will overpower the taste of other spices and veggies used in the dish. For any dish you make, adding 1 or 2 pinches of Garam masala is enough to enhance the taste. For serving around 4 to 5 people, you can add ¼ tsp. to ½ tsp. of Garam masala based on your taste preference.
How to Roast Garam Masala in Oven?
If you do not want to sun-dry the whole spices, then you can also roast them. You may roast on pan/tava or in an oven. If you want to roast in the oven, then set at its lowest temperature.
You can keep the temperature range anywhere between 50 degrees Celsius to 80 degrees Celsius (ie. 122 degrees Fahrenheit to 194 Fahrenheit). You have to roast these whole spices for about 6 hours to 15 hours. The time will vary depending on the temperature range of your oven.
How to Roast Garam Masala in Pan?
Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat until fully heated and slightly smoking. Then add these whole spices by one by one. Roast each of them individually they are completely cooked and becomes aromatic. Shake, toss and stir the spices in the pan for about a minute. Once cooked these spices should smell toasted. Their texture must be slightly darker and give should release a slight bit of smoke. Transfer them from pan to the bowl and let cool.
If you are getting good sunlight during the day then always use the sun dried the whole spices. Let these spices dry naturally for 2 days. But if you do not get enough sunlight, then you can roast these Indian whole spices. Roast them one by one in the separate pan till they become aromatic and starts to release the fragrance. Wait for them to cool and grind.
The only exceptional ingredient in this Garam Masala Recipe is the addition of sweet rose petals. In the unique element because all the other ingredients are whole spices. We have added the dried rose petals for its flavor and fragrance but you can easily skip adding it. If you have it then add or else do not add. Even without adding dried rose petals, the Garam masala will taste good. The addition of rose petals give a pinch of rose flavor but skip it does not make much difference.
This tasty and spicy Garam masala is an aromatic mixture of various Indian condiments. It is used as a base for cooking many Indian dishes. It adds its own flavor, taste and gives warmth to our body. The exact mix and the combination of ingredients can vary between household and regions. The basic use if of five core ingredients but the recipe changes from region to region. The traditional way to make the spices is to roast and grind them. Cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, cumin, coriander, nutmeg, and peppercorns are among the typical spices includes in this masala. This masala may be made from the blend of many spices but it is not very spicy. It’s added it food for the deep and warm flavors. The thumb rule to use Garam Masala is to add it in last. Just like you sprinkle fresh herbs, you can sprinkle this spice mix. It is because if cooked for a longer time, it may become bitter in taste.
Get Recipes in your inbox