The Paneer Bhurji Gravy Recipe is a combination of crumbled paneer with Indian condiments and spice powders in an onion-tomato puree based gravy. Generally, a dried version of paneer Bhurji is famous and it’s more known to people. Many restaurants have this traditional paneer Bhurji on their menu but very few make dry paneer in a curry.
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
Although the word used here is gravy but actually I have finely chopped the vegetables here. If we sauté them properly they become soft and mushy, it gives a texture as if they were pureed. You can crush the veggies and also make their paste. If you sauté the whole spices in butter/oil, then it will infuse aromatic fragrance in the dish. I have added crushed Kasuri Methi to enrich the flavors and the aroma of the dish.
The mixing of fenugreek leaves in the gravy instantly enhances the taste of any Punjabi dish. Here fresh curd is added to the dish but you can use lemon juice also. Instead of paneer, the Soya paneer or tofu can be used. This scrambled paneer gravy dish is different from normal paneer snacks. Here, you first have to make the onion-tomato base gravy and then directly add the crumbled paneer.
It is one such simple recipe to follow which can be tried even by hostel students or is best to make when you are staying alone. This delicious and mouthwatering dish is simple, easy to cook, and less time-consuming. So, follow the simple steps and recreate the restaurant style Paneer Bhurji with a tweak of tasty gravy at home in minutes.
- You would nearly require half an hour to prepare the restaurant style Punjabi paneer Bhurji gravy at home.
- This paneer Bhurji gravy recipe can be doubled or tripled.
- You can also make a paste of onion and tomatoes.
- You can add any other veggies of your choice as well.
- It is always advisable to use the fresh, hygienic and homemade spice mix powder. (Learn to make the Garam masala powder.)
- For the creamier texture, you can add the whisked heavy cream.
- Adjust the red chilies powders and the proportion of green chilies as per your taste palates.
- For the minor crunch, you can add the chopped or the pureed form of nuts.
- Use water only if you do not want the dry textured Bhurji.
- For the vegans, you may use Tofu as an alternative to paneer.
The Paneer Bhurji Gravy is highly fragrant and aromatic when it’s being cooked. The strong smell of sautéed spices makes it very tempting. But with proper plating and interesting garnish, you can make your Paneer Bhurji Gravy look attractive. Mentioned below are the few ideas:
- Ladle the Paneer Bhurji Gravy fancy serving bowl.
- Serve the Paneer Bhurji Gravy in the brass serving bowl.
- You can also transfer Paneer Bhurji Gravy in the fancy oval plate.
- Transfer the hot Paneer Bhurji Gravy into any nice looking bowl.
You can also garnish the paneer Bhurji gravy with:
- Green Coriander Leaves
- Heavy Cream
- Grated Paneer
- Onion Rings
- Lemon Wedges
- The tasty and spicy Paneer Bhurji Gravy goes well with plain paratha or any stuffed paratha.
- Serve it warm with butter roti or the Tandoori Roti.
- Even the Punjabi butter Nan will taste delicious with it.
- Even you can serve it with some plain rice or Jeera rice.
- Serve it with light-weight summer Kachumber Salad.
- Serve any type of Raita as a side dish along with it.
- Have this Roti and Subzi with Lassi. It would become a heavy-weighted meal.
- If you want, you can eat the paneer Bhurji with any type of bread as well.
- For the fans of paneer, you can even try steamed Paneer Pulao which is rich in taste and flavors.
- To make it a complete meal, serve it with any one of the sweet dishes.
- The stuffing can be reused to make Paneer Bhurji Sandwich or Paneer Wrap.
- The leftover paneer Bhurji gravy can be used to make paneer dosa.
- You can use Cayenne Pepper instead of the red chilli powder.
- The most favorable vegetable to add would be the fresh green peas.
- You can skip adding chillies if making for the kids.
- If you are making a paste of spices, then you can simply mix it in the gravy.
- You may any nuts like cashews, walnuts, and almonds.
- Instead of buying Curd from the market, you can prepare curd at home.
- If the fresh curd is not available at home, then you can substitute it with a pinch of lime juice.
- If you like buttermilk then skip curd and add buttermilk.
- You may vary the flavor of curd and use almond curd or any dry fruit curd such as cashew yogurt.
- You can use the readymade tomato puree as well. It will take less time.
The dried paneer Bhurji is something which you can have with roti or paratha only. But when you make paneer Bhurji with the base of masala curry, then you can have it alongside any kind of steamed and spicy rice dish. My husband is very fond of various delectable paneer delicacies. He also prefers rice more than Phulkas roti or paratha. So I mostly make gravy version of paneer Bhurji so that both the purpose is served.
I know you might be tensed because making paneer Bhurji that too in a gravy will increase your work. But don’t worry as always I am here with a simple yet tasty recipe of paneer Bhurji gravy. Here, you only have to crumble or grate paneer and simmer it with the masala curry. There is a perfect blend of flavorful spices in this Indian form of scrambled paneer dish.
If you are a beginner and want to surprise your family by making some awesome paneer dish then you can surely try this paneer dish because it’s easy as compared to other dishes. Also, it’s always preferable to have home-made dishes because of the factors like hygiene, fresh veggies and excess use of oil. It’s an excellent dish of paneer when you are looking for options of quick tummy filling meal.
Jain Paneer Bhurji Gravy Recipe:
There is the Jain version of this delicious Punjabi vegetable gravy dish. It is also very easy and simple to make. If you have few things already prepared before the hand, then it is very much time saving. This is paneer Bhurji recipe is pure Jain recipe. The same paneer dish is made with no Onion and no Garlic in it. Even though there is no garlic nor the onion, it still retains the original taste of the Punjabi dish.
At times, it a bit challenging to prepare the super delicious and yummy Punjabi gravies in the pure Jain style. There may be chances that you may lose the authentic zest of the Punjabi gravy dish. But even if you are making it for the first time, then do not hesitate. The gravy would turn out to be very tasty and delicious. It would be more flavorful and tastier than the original Paneer Bhurji recipe.
You can use the red bell pepper to replace the taste of the pungent onions in the gravy. You can also add a pinch of Asafoetida which replicated the flavors of garlic. These small additions would make your gravy really very awesome. If you do not eat onion and garlic, then Jain Paneer Bhurji Recipe is what you must try. Follow the recipe steps and make your favorite Punjabi dish in the Jain version.
Ingredients Required for Jain Paneer Bhurji Gravy:
For Cashew Paste:
- Cashew Nuts – ½ cup
- Melon Seeds (Magaj Tari) – 2 tbsp.
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Green Cardamom – 2 to 3 pieces
- Cinnamon Stick – small piece
- Dry Red Chilli – 2 to 3 pieces
- Cloves – 1 or 2 pieces
Note: The watermelon seeds available in Indian grocery store as ‘Char Magaj’.
- Fresh Paneer (grated or crumbled) – 200 grams
- Tomatoes (blanched and Chopped ) – ½ cup
- Dry Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi) – 1 tsp.
- Bay Leaf (Kadi Patta) – 1 leaf
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp.
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Red Chilli Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Coriander Powder – ½ tsp.
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – 4 tsp.
- Coriander Leaves (chopped) – ¼ cup
- Dry Red Chilli – 1 unit
- Green Chilly Chopped – 1 tsp.
- Asafoetida (Hing) – a pinch
- Capsicum (chopped)– ¼ Cup
Note: You can use all the different types of bell peppers, to make your dish look colorful. You can use various spice powders.
Steps for Jain Paneer Bhurji Gravy:
- Wash the tomatoes and make tomato puree.
- Grind the whole spices to make paste.
- Prepare the cashew paste.
- Take spoonful of oil and saute capsicum.
- In another pan, saute the whole spices.
- Saute the spices for few seconds.
- Mix the spice powders and stir.
- Then tomato puree and mix it.
- Season the mixture with salt.
- Let the gravy cook properly.
- Then add the crumbled paneer.
- Also add the sautéed capsicum.
- Cook for few minutes.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves.
- Paneer Bhurji gravy is ready.
Note: Adjust the seasoning as per your personal taste. You can add ginger if you want.
Get Recipes in your inbox