The combination of grilled paneer along with other spices powders and ingredients makes it an incredible recipe. One of the many such delicious dishes is the grilled Paneer Tikka mixed in the spicy, delicious and tasty masala curry. The dish is known as Paneer Tikka Masala and it is popular Punjabi sabzi of North Indian Cuisine. The restaurant style Paneer Tikka Masala Recipe is easy and simple to make at home with minor pre-preparation and availability of basic spice powders.
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
For all the paneer lovers, this is the gravy you should not miss! You can get started with its making if you have paneer, fresh yogurt, low fat cream, ripe tomatoes and onions in your kitchen. The sprinkle of spice powders and other Indian condiments in this gravy is to balance and flavors and taste of each ingredient used. The tomatoes may be too tangy or the yogurt may be too sour, so to adjust the flavors you need to use the Masala Powders which can cover up for the taste. It is always advisable to use ripe tomatoes which are less tangy and fresh yogurt which is not sour.
The dish may be simple to make but it is time-consuming and needs a lot of work to be done before hand it’s cooking. The mixture for the marinating of the paneer, onion, and capsicum takes more than an hour. To reduce the length of the work, you may prepare one night before and let it refrigerate overnight. The grilling of Tikka is essential for this recipe which you can do by any of the below-mentioned methods. The versatile way of grilling the Tikka has no effect on its taste and texture.
The rich in flavors and heavy to eat curry requires no cooking expertise. It is consist of marinating paneer, grilling the paneer and mixing it to the spicy, creamy and delicious masala gravy. The below-mentioned step by step instructions with the detailed explanation will help the beginners make paneer tikka masala recipe at home with ease. It is a two-step recipe where the first step is grilling the paneer and then making the curry. You can try this delicious Punjabi dish today and make a healthy meal which your kids will love.
- The paneer tikka masala recipe gets cooked in approximately 30 minutes. But the preparation for this recipe might take an hour.
- This recipe can be doubled or triple. Increase the proportion of ingredients accordingly.
- You can also be flexible with using more paneer in comparison to onions and bell peppers. Similarly, if you like bell peppers, you more of them and less of paneer.
- Always use the ripe tomatoes and the fresh yogurt, otherwise, your gravy will turn out to be sour in taste.
- The substitute of cashew paste can be the almond paste, Magaz paste, well-beaten yogurt, low fat cream, or the corn flour.
- If you have coconut milk, then you can replace it with the cream.
- If you have trouble finding the Kasuri Methi, then you can substitute it with the Celery Leaves.
- If you are calorie conscious, then always go for the grilling paneer in the oven.
- If you are vegan, you can use tofu. Also, you can substitute paneer with tofu whenever the paneer is not available.
- For the restaurant style red dark color, add Kashmiri red chilies or use food color essence.
The strong aroma of the Paneer Tikka Masala is very attractive. But with proper and interesting plating, you can make your Paneer Tikka Masala look more appealing to eyes.
- Keep Paneer Tikka Masala in a nice and fancy serving plate.
- Ladle the Paneer Tikka Masala in a large serving bowl.
- Serve the Paneer Tikka Masala in the brass serving kadhai .
- You can also transfer Paneer Tikka Masala in the fancy oval plate.
- Pour the Paneer Tikka Masala a nice looking plate.
You can also garnish Paneer Tikka Masala with:
- Coriander leaves
- Grated Paneer
- White Cream
- Onion Rings
If you want, you can use chopped parsley leaves or cilantro leaves instead of coriander leaves for garnishing.
There are many possible combinations of eating Paneer Tikka Masala. Check below for the few serving ideas:
- Serve the paneer tikka hot and warm. Squeeze some lime juice over it.
- Also before serving, you can sprinkle some chaat masla over it.
- The usual way to eat the Paneer Tikka Masala is Any kind of paratha.
- The delicious Punjabi Tikka Masala can also be eaten with Tandoori Roti or Butter Nan.
- Whenever you wanting to eat light, you can mix paneer pulao with paneer tikka masala.
- Any one of the chilled Raita, would be the great side complement to your dish.
- If you serve the glass of chilled Lassi, only then this north Indian dish can be complete.
- It can be eaten with any type of rice, biryani or pulao of your choice.
- The Punjabi paneer tikka masala or any other Punjabi gravy is served with some sweet.
- The roasted or fried papad provides the little crunch while eating Paneer Tikka Masala.
- Even you can place a plate of salad for the crunch.
All the different subzi made with paneer as core ingredient can be eaten with any kind of Paratha and chutney or pickle as a side accompaniment.
- The hot and spicy Veg Manchow Soup with fried noodles would be a great appetizer or starter option for this dish if you are making it for the party.
- Lastly, you can sprinkle the Chaat Masala with a squeeze of lime juice over the Paneer Tikka.
- It is always preferable to make the paneer at home for any vegetable sabzi.
- If you have cashews, you can use it for the creamier texture and sweetness in the taste of the gravy.
- If you are using cream, then use you can use low-fat cream.
- It is not compulsory to blanch. We do it only because it reduces the cooking time.
- If you don’t have cream you can use milk ½ cup. But remember to stir continuously to avoid curdling.
- You can balance the tanginess of sour tomatoes by adding extra sugar.
- The packets of spice mix are readily available in the market. But you can make Garam Masala powder at home in less time and with ease.
- Instead of cashews, even the soaked peanuts can be added but they may change the taste a little.
Tips to Grill Paneer in Oven:
We keep the aluminum foil over the baking tray just to reduce the cleaning work. Also while the baking, even if you over-cook or it’s burned, the paneer will not stick to the pan. You can use tandoor, tava or griddle to make the tikka.
If you have the simple oven, then keep the tray in the center layer and start on the upper and the bottom layer. For this kind of oven, set the temperature to 180 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
You can also use bamboo skewer if you have that. In case you do not have the skewer, you can fry them individually and separately as they are. Threading on skewer reduces the hand work when you are frying.
How to make the Marinating Paste for the Paneer Tikka?
To make the marinating paste, you would need all the spices you are using. Also the red and green chillies. Firstly, soak the dry red chillies in water. Keep them soaked for half an hour. If you are in hurry, you can alternatively just microwave red chillies in water for a minute. You just have to make the dry red chillies soft, so that they can easily grind.
Now, you have to dry roast whole coriander seeds and the cumin seeds. Take from the pan and allow them to cool for a while. Now, mix the green chillies, red chillies, coriander seeds and cumin seeds in a jar. Crush everything into paste. Add some water if you need. And then your paste is ready to use.
Then, heat oil in pan. Add the spice paste you prepared. Cook the spice paste for a minute over medium flame. Then add chopped coriander leaves along with the fenugreek seeds. Sprinkle little salt and sugar. Add fresh and whipped cream. Once again, mix everything and cook into a smooth paste. Bring it to a boil on medium flame. Then add the chopped paneer cubes and bell peppers into this marinade. Coat the paneer evenly with this marinating paste.
Jain Paneer Tikka Masala Recipe:
For the Jain Version of the Paneer Tikka Masala, you need to skip the use of onion and the ginger-garlic paste. When you do not add these ingredients, it may change the taste of your recipe a bit. So for the taste to remain similar, you can add Asafoetida which is known as Hing in the gravy. It is generally the substitute of Onion in all the curry and it can also be used as an alternative to the garlic.
So when you are making the mixture for marinating, instead of ginger-garlic paste, add the pinch of Asafoetida. You do not have to add onions, simply use paneer or tofu, capsicum and any ingredient you like (You can grill the large chunks of tomato, potato, etc). Similarly, for the gravy of the paneer tikka, you can add the pinch of Asafoetida in the step of ginger-garlic paste and do not add onion paste. Rest of the preparation remains same, only if you want then you can make gravy of the only cream which has no addition of Onions.
For the below mentioned no onion and no garlic recipe of Paneer Tikka Masala.
Ingredients for Jain Paneer Tikka Masala:
- Cottage Cheese (Paneer) – 150 grams
- Curd – ½ tbsp.
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp.
- Dhania Powder – ½ tsp.
- Jeera Powder – ½ tsp.
- Garam Masala Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Oil ½ tbsp.
- Mixed Peppers Cubes – ½ cup
- Fresh Cream – 1 tbsp.
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Coriander Leaves – few leaves
- Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) – 1 tsp.
- Salt – as per taste
Jain Paneer Tikka Masala Gravy:
- 4 large tomatoes – 2 cups
- Cashew Nuts – 4 to 5 pieces
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp.
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp.
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp.
- Punjabi Masala – 1 tsp.
- Garam Masala – ¼ tsp.
- Corn Flour – 2 tbsp.
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Sugar – 1 tsp.
- Bay Leaf – 1 or 2 leaves
- Oil – as required
- Salt – as per taste.
Note: You can easily make the Punjabi masala at home with few whole spices.
Steps to make the Jain Version of Paneer Tikka Masala Recipe:
- Clean and chop the veggies.
- Prepare the cashew paste.
- Prepare the tomato puree.
- Make cornstarch paste.
- Clean and Cut the paneer cubes.
- Mix all the ingredients for marinating paneer (except for oil).
- Mix well and keep aside for an hour.
- Heat oil in a griddle.
- Keep the marinated mixture in it.
- Sauté it properly to cook paneer.
- Wait till the paneer turns light golden brown.
- Switch off the flame and keep aside.
- Heat oil in another pan.
- Add the whole spices and herbs.
- Add the tomato purée.
- Mix the cashew paste.
- Sprinkle the spice powders.
- Season the mixture with sugar.
- Stir everything and cook.
- Add the cornstarch paste and mix well.
- Then add the marinated paneer pieces.
- Cook for few minutes and saute everything.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves. Serve hot.
Note: You can use powdered cashews as well.
Get Recipes in your inbox