Nostalgic about the lanes of Mahabaleshwar? We always recall the memories of place by its food. Learn to make Corn Patties Recipe, one of its scrummy street food. The snack dish is easy to prepare at home retaining the original flavors. Recreate the magic of corn patties and mingle with the joy of taste buds!
- Author: Karishma Shah
- Recipe Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: Indian
Description: The Corn Patties Recipe is a perfect tea-time suggestion for light snacks. It makes fried corn fritters which tastes delicious with any hot beverage.
Corn Patties Recipe Ingredients:
- Sweet Corns – 2 cups (2 large)
- Bread – 1 tsp. (chopped)
- Bread Crumbs – 2 tbsp.
- Potatoes – 2 cups (2 large)
- Rice Flour – 1 ½ tbsp.
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp.
- Green Chillies – ½ cup (1 piece)
- Chaat Masala – 1 tsp.
- Dry Mango Powder – ½ tsp.
- Cumin Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Coriander Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Coriander Leaves – ½ cup
- Ginger – 1 tsp.
- Lime Juice – 1 tsp.
- Vegetable Oil – 3 tbsp. (use saffola oil)
- Salt – as per taste.
Note: You can also use corn starch, gram flour or bread pulp. If you want, you may add the peanuts, cashews or crushed almonds in your patties. (click to buy almonds online)
Corn Patties Recipe Steps:
- Chop and Deseed Green Chillies.
- Rinse, Wash and Chop Coriander Leaves.
- Finely chop the ginger.
- Steam Corn Cob: In a large skillet, heat the water till its boiling point. Place the corn cob for 10 minutes to steam. Wait till the kernels become tender. Remove the corns and place them in a bowl.
- Corn Kernel Paste:
- In a mixer-grinder, add the steamed corns.
- Add the ginger and the green chilli.
- Grind at a medium pace till it forms smooth paste.
- Boil the Potatoes: In a pressure cooker, boil the water and keep the potatoes to steam. Once done, take them off. Peel off their skin and grate them. Mash the potatoes in a bowl. Keep the mashed potatoes aside.
- Take a small pan and add the corn kernel paste.
- Add green chillies, red chilli powder, chopped coriander leaves, and ginger.
- Squeeze the lime juice.
- Season with pinch of salt.
- Mix well, and check for taste.
- Add spices accordingly if necessary.
- Transfer the stuffing from pan to a bowl. Keep it aside.
- In bowl sieve the rice flour.
- Add the mashed potatoes to this bowl.
- Sprinkle the spice powders like cumin powder, coriander powder, dry mango powder, Chaat masala and red chilli powder.
- Little pinch of salt for the taste.
- Bind the mixture to form a smooth dough.
- Knead well and make small balls of equal size.
Note: Use knife to remove corn kernels. You can also use steamed corn.
- Take the round small balls from the bowl one by one and flatten them with your palm.
- Keep them in a plate.
- Now, take the little bit of mixture with the spoon.
- Place this corn stuffing in the center of the flatten potato balls.
- Close the edges by bringing to center. Cover the stuffing from all sides.
- Apply some oil to your palm and shape the patties with your palm.
- Make patties like this and repeat procedure for all the mixture.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Wait till it crackles.
- Shallow fry the patties in the oil, flip the sides and allow it to fry from both sides and edges.
- Keep the patties in the pan till they become golden brown and get crispy texture.
- Take the patties from the pan and keep it on the oil-absorbent paper napkin.
And the Corn Patties are ready to take the bite!
Note: Use spatula to turn over the patties.
Whenever you fry the patties, keep the flame either low or medium. If you fry the patties on high flame, then are are chances that they may get burnt from the bottom.
Flip the patties to the other side only when one side is perfectly cooked. If you flip in between then the tikki would break and corn stuffing would come out.
Calories: 496 calories
- Total Time: PT50M
- Serves: 7
- Date Published: 2016-08-26
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
The taste of corn patties is similar to having plain corns with some extra zest. The corn stuffing with the mashed potatoes when melts, leaves an impression. The combination of sweet and flavorful potato mixture makes it a favorite tea-time snack.
You can give any shape of your choice to these patties. Shallow fry or deep fry is your choice, but remove the excess oil for the better health. The proportion of spices used in the potato mixture is adjustable. Try and customize with the ingredients used and come up with new version.
The key here is to fry in a way that inner filing remains soft while the outer layer becomes crispy. Tickle your tongue with these mouth-watering Makai Patties. Serve it as breakfast or snack and sate your appetite for munch of crunch.
- The Corn Patties Recipe requires nearly an hour to prepare and cook.
- The use of other flour than the rice can change the taste of patties.
- The corn stuffing can also be eaten as plain.
- You can reduce the proportion of chillies to adjust the spiciness.
- You may substitute bread crumbs with the corn flakes.
Serve the sweet corn patties in a plate with the coriander chutney or any other type of chutney. Garnish it with:
Garnish it with:
- Coriander Leaves
- Chaat Masala
- If you don’t have chutney, then you can have it with Tomato Sauce.
- You can either shallow fry or deep fry this corn pattie. You will get crispy layered corn patties if you deep fry.
- You can do the tempering of sesame seeds over the corn patties.
There is one more way of making these lovely corn patties. First make the batter for frying patties by taking 2 tbsp. rice flour or besan a bowl. Then make the corn stuffed patties as mentioned above and then dip one by one each patty in the flour batter. After that roll the corn patties in the bread crumbs mixture and coat its surface evenly. Keep these corn patties aside for a while and roast or shallow fry it. The Corn Patties Recipe is a perfect tea-time suggestion for light snacks. It makes fried corn fritters which tastes delicious with any hot beverage like tea or coffee.
If you are interested in checking other tea-time snacks then you may like to see Cutlet, Samosa, Aloo Tikki, Paneer Bread Roll, Mirchi Vada, Sandwich, Upma, Chaat, Dhokla, Aloo Pakora and many such more. All these tasty and delicious snacks are really simple to make at home.