Upma is highly preferred as the healthy breakfast for a fresh morning. Quinoa Upma Recipe. This chewy upma is usually sticky and gummy. This tasty upma is also very healthy and it can be made at any time or any day. The Quinoa Upma Recipe is one such variation of upma with the core ingredient being Quinoa. Whenever you plan to make upma with the integration of Quinoa, get the seeds from the market and soak them in water which saves time.
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
It is the one such quick breakfast recipe which you can make when are running late for office. It uses Quinoa as the main element and all the other side ingredients for the extra taste and flavours. The ingredients such as lentils and veggie like carrot, capsicum and peas are easily available. Whereas the spice powder and various condiments are common and usually available in everyone’s home.
The preparation of this quinoa upma is no different from the other upma recipes. Wash, rinse and cut chop the vegetables you have along with quinoa. Soak quinoa seeds in water, do tempering in hot oil with mustard and cumin seeds, mix the different types of lentils and cook. Add the veggies, chillies, whole spices and the condiments. Sprinkle salt and season with herbs. The only change in this recipe is the replacement of semolina with the Quinoa in the making of the Upma.
The colourful plate of quinoa upma looks wonderful and taste delicious. It has a beautiful blend of soft and crunchy texture. The whiff of the cooked roasted quinoa seeds spreads all over the kitchen. The spicy upma has the aromatic nutty fragrance. It is quick and easy to make in early mornings when you are already running late of time. This is one meal dish which is healthy, tasty and tummy filling at the same time. Serve it hot with spicy pickle or dip.
- The preparation time required for the Quinoa Upma Recipe is around 30 minutes.
- The measured proportion of ingredients mention for the recipe of Quinoa Upma serves 2 people. You can change the proportion based on the number of servings.
- You can use only red chilli instead of green chilli. You can combine both and if you are making for children, then do not use chillies at all.
- Ghee can be used instead of Oil.
- The carrot will give it rich taste but you can skip it if you don’t have it.
- Kids might like it sweet add 2 tsp. sugar in it.
- You can make this quinoa upma in a pressure cooker as well.
- Quinoa can be eaten both by vegetarians and vegans.
- If you making Quinoa Upma for the Jain friends, then avoid the use of onions and ginger it in.
Garnish it with:
- Coriander Leaves
- Grated Cheese
- Lemon Wedges
- You can squeeze some lemon juice over the upma and mix it well.
- For extra flavours, sprinkle Maggie Magic Masala over the upma.
- You can have this Upma for a breakfast or mid-day meal with chilled Raita.
- Pair this hearty quinoa upma with your evening tea or coffee along with toasted bread to make up the light meal for your stomach.
The reason we soak the quinoa in water is because it has Phytic acid that’s make it indigestible for our body. The presence of this acid prevents our body from easily digesting the food items related to quinoa. So we soak Quinoa is water which absorbs this and makes it digestible. Ideally, it has to be soaked overnight or for 12 hours but if you are in lack of time then you can soak it for half an hour.
The quinoa is a powerhouse of proteins, vitamins, minerals, fibres, potassium, magnesium and other nutrients. Its regular consumption is beneficial for all age group people having different food habits. They contain antioxidants in the surplus and their intake improves the health of metabolism, reduces weight. Incorporate Quinoa in your food in various ways and improve your health.
There are various other food items which can be made from the Quinoa and are equally delicious and hearty. If you like to eat and experiment with Quinoa food fishes then you can try Quinoa Idli, Quinoa Rice, Quinoa Pulao, Quinoa Salad, Quinoa Toast or Quinoa Tikki.
Quinoa is not the Indian ingredient so it may cost a bit to buy them but similar to it there is another seed called as Rajgira or Amaranth. These Rajgira seeds are native, rich in nutrients, economically and easily affordable. There are various recipes which you can make from these seeds or its flour like Rajgira Paratha, Rajgira Poori, and much more. You can cook various Quinoa dishes with Rajgira but there will difference in taste and texture of this dish. Also, they are stickier than the Quinoa and takes more time to cook.
Also, if you are looking for Upma varieties to make in morning for the lunchbox of your kids or the tiffin of your husband then you may be interested in making Tomato Upma, Beetroot Upma, Onion Upma, Oats Upma, Poha Upma, Vermicelli Upma, etc. All these different types of Upma are really quick and easy to make in the morning. These colourful and flavorful Upma’s are delicious, nutritious, protein-packed, tasty, tummy filling and yet light on the stomach. The various Upma made from different ingredients are the perfect option to cook for when you are looking for protein rich vegetarian dishes to make while you are in hurry.