Are you in constant search of new and interesting recipes which have the combination of taste and health? Then here’s presenting the tangle of Tomato with Rava in the very own Tomato Upma Recipe. You must have heard of various food items of tomatoes such ketchup, chutney, juice, soup, salad, curry, dosa, uttapam but you would be pleased to have this tomato upma. The core dish is upma but there is a twist due to an addition of pulpy tomatoes. The tanginess of this flavorful upma will make you tempt for it to keep having again and again.
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
There are various types of the upma of which the basic is Rava upma without any addition of veggies. But the tomato upma gets to the top amongst all due to the tagines and tartness of juicy tomatoes. One small bite and instant burst of huge flavors in the mouth. This is the best option when you are looking for a light and tasty breakfast for kick starting the day. The tempering with cumin and mustard seeds adds the original zing to the dish. Whereas the topping of cashew spreads the nutty whiff. The seasoning of coriander leaves and use of curry leaves takes the fragrance and flavors to another level.
It is simple and quick to make at home with an availability of fresh tomatoes and another handful of side ingredients with basic spice powders. It does not require much time and neither the cooking expertise. But for the perfect outcome of taste and texture, it is recommended to not change the mentioned proportion of ingredients. To have the perfect combination of flavors, you have to balance between all these ingredients. You can adjust the tanginess by reducing tomatoes and balance the spiciness by decreasing the green chilies.
It’s not common and thus does not strike instantly but you have surplus tomatoes then you can definitely try to attempt this. There is, of course, the tartness of tomatoes but the use of various spice powders and green chilies perks up the entire taste of the dish making it spicy. If you are excited to try this new food item of tomatoes then make it quickly without much of efforts. The tasty Tomato upma or commonly known as tomato Rava upma can be served along with hot coconut chutney (Nariyal ki chutney), garlic chutney (Lahsun Ki Chutney) or any other spicy pickle.
- The total time required for the Tomato Upma Recipe is 15 minutes.
- The measured proportion of ingredients makes upma which sufficiently serves 2 persons.
- Use Organic Turmeric if you can get it. Adjust the proportion of spice powders in such a way that they balance the tanginess of tomatoes.
- To make your Tomato Upma a big success, use only the roasted rava.
- Deseeded tomatoes are preferred.
- You can use red chili instead of green chili. You can use both of these chilies half-half as well.
- You can use Green Peas too.
- To add the red colour to your Upma, you can prefer adding carrot. It is optional, so add only if you want colour and some crunch.
- The texture and consistency of this Tomato Upma is semi solid. So thought the mentioned proportion of water is 2 cups, but add as required.
- It would be better if you could add the hot water.
Transfer the hot tomato Upma from the pan to the serving pan. Serve it with the tomato ketchup or any type of chutney. If have made the Upma for the evening snack or the weekday breakfast, then serve with Masala Chai.
Here are the few ideas on how can you decorate this red colour Upma:
- Garnish with Coriander leaves.
- Season it with desiccated coconut.
- Sprinkle raisins and serve it hot.
- Keep few wedges of lemon with the Upma.
- To add the nice nutty flavours to Upma, use the chopped cashews.
- To make the tomato upma a bit spicier, you can add dry red chilies.
- This tomato upma goes well with the warm south Indian favoured coconut chutney.
- If you do not have coconut chutney, then include just a little of desiccated coconut in the last step.
- Add a pinch of sugar if you want.
- To make a heavy meal, pair it with traditional tomato soup or roasted tomato soup.
This upma made from tangy and juicy tomatoes is quickest, easiest and best upma you can every make at home. The light tanginess and tartness of tomatoes burst tangy tastes in mouth. You can have tomatoes in various way, in the form of tomato chutney, tomato Raita or the spicy and tarty tomato rice. But this Semolina Upma with the tomatoes is tastier as well healthier than regular tomato dishes. The flavours of coconut and tomato upma get along exceptionally well but you can also have tomato Upma with any spicy pickle as well. The fresh and pulpy tomatoes make this upma colourful, flavourful and healthful. This tasty tomato upma is extremely easy to make. It is an ideal breakfast option for the busy days. Also, it is a perfect snack to prepare when you are looking for light food to fill your hungry stomach.
You can make this tomato upma in less than 15 minutes. It is one of the best option for morning breakfast on the busy days. This easy to chew upma can be easily eaten by both kids and elderly people. It is not only easy to make, but also very easy to digest as well. The tempering of spices and herbs over this tomato upma totally raise the taste, flavours and aroma of this dish. You can still lift the texture of this dish by adding dry nuts or the cream so that Poha stays moist for long time.
If you are bored of the regular upma, you should try to make Upma from different ingredients. It would give a different taste and different flavour to Upma. Any type of Upma you choose to make, it would always be an awesome breakfast for your family. Try to include oats in your Upma and prepare the tasty yet healthy Oats Upma. It would be an interesting twist to mix the oats into your all-time favourite semolina upma. Also, if you love eat vermicelli, then it would be fascinating turn to make Upma with your loved vermicelli.
If you like this tangy tomato upma recipe, you can also check out other Upma recipes such as Poha Upma, Quinoa Upma, Beetroot Upma and many more. Also, if you are interested to make food dishes from tomatoes, then you learn to make restaurant style Tomato Curry at home. If you are looking for some spicy variation to the tarty tomatoes, then go with tomato salsa or chunky salsa sauce.
Get Recipes in your inbox