The Undhiyu Recipe is a one dish meal which is the identity of Gujarati and it’s made to cherish health in the winter along with the celebration of festivals. It’s an authentic dish of Gujarati Cuisine and pride of its people. It’s commonly known as “Surti Undhiyu” and is served in almost every restaurant. It is also available at each street stall and even made at home.
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
The name “Undhiyu” is derived from the specialty of its preparation. Traditionally it was cooked in the earthen pots sealed from above and kept upside down touching the ground having the fire burning within them. This recipe mentioned here is the homemade Undhiyu which is not so time consuming and easy to prepare. You can cook the veggies in the pan, pot or pressure cooker as per your choice.
Nothing can beat the authentic taste of Undhiyu prepared in the traditional style. This Gujarati subzi has three basic variation of making known as Surti Style, Matla Method and Kathiyawadi Cooking, each of which differs in just the texture of the dish due to a way of preparation. This is the one pot dish which is the identity of the Gujarat food and folks.
There is no alteration in the taste, spice, and flavors of the dish. The combination of citrusy lemon with the fresh herbs like coriander leaves and fenugreek leaves creates wonderful whiff. The chopped nuts spread nutty aroma when roasted and give a crunch when sprinkled over the Undhiyu. Yet, if you are conscious, then use less oil and avoid an excess of spice powders.
- More than cooking, the work and time are spent in preparation which nearly consumes 1 hour. Cooking time required for the Undhiyu Recipe is hardly 15-20 minutes.
- The minimum serving is 10-12 people, the number varies along with the usage of ingredients.
- This Undhiyu can be doubled or tripled as well it can be scaled down.
- To save the time, you can buy the readymade Muthia from the store.
- The store bought dumplings needs to be cooked with other veggies.
- It is one of the best variety of dishes prepared during “Uttrayan”.
- The Methi Mixture has to be little sticky so that the dumpling remain soft after being fried.
- You can use small brinjal or the medium sized brinjal for making Undhiyu.
- If you are using peas, you can use fresh green peas or frozen peas.
- You can make Undhiyu without only brinjals or only raw bananas as well.
- Cooking the Undhiyu in earthen pots will give the real the taste and flavours.
Once the delicious Undhiyu is prepared, take it out in a curvature bowl. Garnish it with:
- Grated Coconut
- Chopped Coriander
- Lemon Pieces
- Nylon Sev or Thick Sev
This dish is preferred in lunch and dinner both. You can have the Undhiyu in any season but it tastes best when you have in winters. It is always advisable to serve the Undhiyu hot and warm.
- Serve the Undhiyu with the fried Poori or the homemade fried Luchi.
- You can pair your Undhiyu with Boondi Raita or any type of refreshing Raita.
- You can also have it with the steamed plain Jeera Rice.
- The authentic Undhiyu is always eaten with the sweet spiral shaped Jalebi.
- It best goes with any Indian bread such as Parathas or even Pav.
- If you want to make it healthy, then go for Jowar roti or Bajra roti.
In the season of Mango, serving it with “Aamras” is a treat for Undhiyu lovers. The alternate in other seasons can be “Shrikhand”. Yet the best sweet dish to match with it can be “Jalebi”. And the best drink that goes with it can be sweet Lassi or the salted Lassi.
The combination of the Undhiyu with the Jalebi and Poori is just more than perfect. It is the match made in heaven. Prepare Undhiyu at home to win hearts of your Gujarati guests.
- This recipe requires the excess use of oil.
- If you are healthy conscious, then use less oil.
- This homemade Undhiyu Recipe is a vegan version.
- It is not gluten free because of Asafoetida.
- Skip adding the Asafoetida to make gluten free Undhiyu.
- There are two traditional methods of preparing Undhiyu.
- The first method has the stuffing of peanuts and coconut in Undhiyu.
- Whereas there is no stuffing in the second method.
- You can do the variation and customize the Undhiyu recipe.
- You can add any other vegetable of your choice in Undhiyu dish.
- The purple yam can be substituted with the regular yam as well.
|1:30 hours||5 to 6 people||879 calories|
The Undhiyu Recipe is the traditional dish of the Gujarati cooking. This authentic dish is simple yet very flavorful. It is healthy and tasty as it has veggies in abundance. All these different vegetables are cooked with the coconut or the butter milk. They are then tossed with the various spices and other Indian condiments.
This is one kind of Gujarat curry dish where you can experiment with the flavours and explore your cooking expertise. This dish is nothing but the combination of fried vegetables and fenugreek dumplings simmered in the spicy masala mixture. Though a winter special dish, it’s not compulsory to make it only in winters. You can cook it any day with the convenience of time when the necessary ingredients are available.
The core reason to prefer having it in cold is due to the warmth that it provides and it’s easy to obtain fresh green veggies in that season. The more veggies you add to the Undhiyu, the healthier and tastier your Undhiyu will be. But if you are comfortable with few handful of green vegetables, whole spices, and basic Indian condiments which are present in your kitchen then it’s a dish for all year round.
The core hero of the dish is the bitter brinjal. It also tastes little sweet and its flavors can be customized with the seasonings of different variety of chutneys. All other side supporters like sweet potato, green peas, banana, and garlic contribute equivalently to taste and are beneficial for health. The pre-preparation of this seasonal Undhiyu recipe is time-consuming and can make you tired but the assembling of the Undhiyu is real quick.
Though chopping the ingredients, preparing the paste, making and frying dumplings may seem tedious but the final flavors of the dish are worth all the efforts. With little precaution and patience, the perfect Undhiyu can be prepared within minutes. The spicy stuffing mixes well the steamed vegetables which are spread over the banana leaves. This delicious rich curry is made with as many as possible vegetables and spice powders.
There is no fixed way to make Undhiyu at home, you can be flexible with the ingredients, method as well as with the style of cooking. You can either use pot or pressure cooker for its preparation, the later one is less time consuming. But when cooked in a pot, it retains the original flavors, adds the zing of spices and enhances the taste. The colorful and bright texture of Undhiyu filled with Papdi and veggies is tempting.
Get Recipes in your inbox