When festivals around, you just can’t get enough of sweets no matter how much you eat. The Rice Kheer is one such kind of sweet dish which complements perfectly with your meals, party menus, and dessert options. This Chawal Ki Kheer Recipe is easy to make at home and requires only few handful of ingredients. It is one of the favorite Indian desserts which is made with an addition of rice, chopped nuts, sugar and saffron strands in the boiled milk. This recipe of Chawal ki Kheer is quite simple and quick when compared with other delicious north Indian sweet recipes.
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
The rice and creamy kheer should have the thick consistency. As you have cooked your rice in the milk, they would become fluffy and puffy. The rice grains would absorb the milk so the more you cook them in milk, the better they would taste. So, the rich and creamy taste of this delicious and royal dessert comes from simmering the kheer for a long time over a low flame. When your rice is getting cooked in milk, you can add sugar with a pinch of salt. You may also sprinkle any of your favorite flavoring agent which would infuse its flavors and fragrance to the Kheer.
The creamy texture of the rice kheer looks nice and tempting. The rich taste of this kheer is extremely delicious. Try to make this kheer from rice on special occasions and grand festivals like Diwali. It’s fabulous fragrance will impress your guest and they absolutely love its milky taste. You can tweak with the traditional way of making Chawal ki kheer and add give your own customized twist. As it is very easy to make this kheer at home, you can think of making it any time of the day. The ingredients required for the preparation of kheer are less and easily available in your kitchen.
There are two ways to make this kheer, wherein the first method you can use the uncooked rice. In a second way, you can make this recipe of kheer with the leftover rice which is already cooked. The latter one is less time consuming as with the uncooked rice you have to soak the rice for minimum half an hour. Any which way you make this Kheer, with the correct proportion of ingredients and right consistency of kheer, it would make a very flavorful and fantastic sweet dish.
- Total time of cooking required for the Chawal ki Kheer Recipe is approximately 1 hour where 30 minutes can go in preparation and rest 30 minutes is cooking.
- The measured proportion of ingredients for recipe makes kheer which can serve 2 people. You can increase or decrease the measurement of each ingredient based on the number of serving.
- It is advised to keep the flame low during the whole process otherwise, the kheer will burn.
- You will have to continuously keep on stirring otherwise rice will stick to the bottom of the pan.
- You can add any other nuts or dry fruits of your choice.
- The addition of saffron strands is also optional. They give the color and fragrance to the rice kheer.
- In any case, if your kheer burns then immediately shift it to other vessel and do not scrape the burnt part from the bottom.
- For all the diabetic patients, you can add sugar-free instead of regular sugar.
Serve this delicious rice kheer in a serving bowl along with the complete meal or alone. You can eat this warm or chilled but it would taste best when served hot immediately from pan. You can pair it with Luchi/ Poori and eat it alone without any accompaniment.
Garnish the Chawal ki kheer with:
- Chopped Nuts
- Rose Petals
- Cardamom Powder
- Saffron Strands
- You can add few drops of rose water at the end of this kheer which takes its taste and flavor to another level.
- If you do not want to use sugar, then you can add Jaggery but be careful that it should be hot when you add it. Your milk can curdle if it’s hot and you are mixing the hot Jaggery at the same time.
- For the bit of spicy taste, you can sprinkle ¼ of black powder over the kheer.
- If you love chocolate, then add in the cocoa powder and make it the Chocolate Kheer!
- Your kheer will become nice if you use broken rice.
There are various names to this sweet and tasty dessert. It is known as rice kheer in north India, payasam in south India and in the western it is called as rice pudding. You can serve it as sweet or in the dessert. There is no specific compulsion about the flavoring agents, the rice is the core ingredient which is mixed with the milk. The rest of elements can vary depending on factors like place, taste, and health. The can be various flavoring agents for this dish of rice kheer. Few options of flavoring ingredients which you can use are:
- Cardamom powder
- Cinnamon powder
- Rose Water
- Dry Fruits – raisins, almonds, cashews, walnuts
- Vanilla Extract
- Whipped Cream
If you are in a real hurry, then you can introduce yourself to a slightly different tasting rice kheer. In this method, you have to cook the rice separately in the pan, pot or pressure cooker. Firstly, wash the rice, strain it properly and then soak it for a while. Then take the rice and cook it for 5 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mix some condensed milk with the full fat boiled milk, simmer the milk until you get the correct sweetness level. If you find sweeter then add some more milk and if you are unable to get the right proportion of sweetness, then add more of condensed milk. When the milk is boiled, mix the cooked rice and add the nuts. Sprinkle cardamom powder and season with sugar. Lastly, give a gentle stir to the Kheer and its ready to eat in less than 30 minutes. Though it’s made fast and quickly, you would feel the difference of taste and flavors due to the presence of the condensed milk. There is a typical characteristic sweetness of condensed milk which is instantly felt especially when you are sensitive to taste.
There is one more way to make this Chawal ki Kheer Recipe which uses the leftover rice. If you have made rice for your lunch in the morning then you can use the same rice in the evening by making this delicious kheer. In this way of preparing kheer when you are using the already cooked rice, you simply have to boil the milk and then add the rice along with other flavoring agents like cardamom powder and cinnamon powder to the pan. Stir well for few minutes, then add the sugar. You can add a pinch of salt if you want. Keep stirring and simmer the milk till you achiever the required consistency. Serve it hot or cold in the form of pudding. It is always better to use the rice than to throw it away. The other recipes which can be made from the leftover rice are rice pakora, rice cutlet, rice idli, masala rice and lemon rice.
Similar to the Rice kheer there is one more dessert called as Rice pudding which uses vanilla essence unlike saffron or cardamom powder used in kheer. The Chawal Ki Kheer is popular amongst all the other kheer besides Phirni. The other Kheer recipes which you can make at home are Lauki Ki Kheer, Carrot Ki Kheer, and Paneer Kheer. If you love eating sweet then you would like to check other varieties of Indian sweets such as Jalebi, Rabdi, Halwa, tasty and delicious Ladoo, Chocolate Modak, Sandesh and much such more.
Get Recipes in your inbox