The “Kutchi Dabeli” or commonly called as Dabeli, is Mumbai’s popular street food, available at every alternate food stall. The fusion of sweet, spicy, tangy and tarty flavours creates culminate composition of tastes. The Dabeli Recipe is prepared with the blow of breeze if you simply have to assemble the ingredients. Otherwise, it takes a lot of time in preparing the masala and different flavours of chutneys.
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
The masala and chutney are available in the market but there is a different charm of homemade fresh masala. The spice powders are always easy to make but the laziness is one of the hindrances. To avoid indulging yourself into its complete making, you may bring buns and other items from the market and prepare in your home.
The flavorful filling seasoned with colourful ingredients makes an interesting combination. The potato mash mixed with peanut and pomegranates is squeezed between the Indian bread – Bun. The drizzle of various flavoured and different coloured chutney over the bun creates a magical equation of tastes. It creates super yummy taste and colourful look of the plate is totally tempting.
Dabeli can be defined as a bunch of buns with the yummy filling inside them. The experience of eating is nothing less than that of a delightful and delicious Chaat. Read the recipe for making Dabeli and recreate the roadside snack. Experiment with the spices and chutney, and make everyone eager and excited to try the snack dish. Even if you are health conscious, don’t mind a plate!
- The Dabeli Recipe takes more time in preparation rather than assembling the whole piece of one Dabeli.
- You can increase or decrease the proportion of chutney, pomegranates, and onions according to your taste level.
- If you prefer spicy, then I recommend spreading sizzling red chutney inside your Dabeli Bun.
- If you like to give it an International touch, then assemble the stuffing inside the Italian Herb Bread and season with spicy herbs and sauces.
- The burger bun is also called as Laadi Pav. You can easily make at home maintaining health and hygiene.
- The leftover potato stuffing for the Dabeli can be stored in the fridge.
- You can re-use this spicy mashed potato filling to prepare any other snack.
- Visually the Dabeli is similar to the Burgers, but the taste and the flavours vary.
- You can also add fruits like grapes and small chunks of apples. The raisins can be added as well.
- You save time, prepare each element of Dabeli differently. Then lastly, assemble it all together.
The plate of the delectable Dabeli can be garnished with:
- Mint Leaves
- Coriander Leaves
- White Cream
- Grated Cheese
- Serve the Dabeli as a snack with the homemade tomato sauce and various sauces.
- Have it along with the pair of fried samosas.
- Serve it with the dips or chutneys of your choice.
- Serve plain or smeared with butter and grilled.
- You can buy the burger buns from the store or make the Bombay Pav at home.
- Dabeli masala is also easily available in provision stores. But it is best to use homemade Dabeli Masala.
- The peanuts can be roasted, tossed in spices and the chopped.
- All the different tasty and sizzling sauces can be prepared fresh at home.
- The Dabeli tastes best when served hot. Do not serve cool or else bun would become chewy.
- If preparing for a small party at home, then make everything one day before and store. At the time of serving, toast the bun and assemble Dabeli.
- Skip adding onions and garlic if you do not eat. Also, the potato stuffing can be replaced with any other ingredient.
|30 minutes||5 to 6 people||197 calories|
With the street vendors or the food stalls owners, Dabeli is surely a snack on the go. The Laadi Pav (small burger buns) is filled with spicy potatoes stuffing and with various ingredients. If you are wondering how to make Dabeli at home, then do not worry. This street style food can be easily prepared without much of cooking. If you have the spiced mashed potatoes mixture if your fridge, then you just have to assemble the stuffing in the bun. Recreate the roadside experience and enjoy this delicious snack at home!
Basically, Dabeli has the spicy potato stuffing. But you can twist with the original taste of the Dabeli. You may prepare the stuffing as suitable to your taste palates. It can be sweet, tangy or sweet. The onions give the pungent flavour and a crunch. The garlic chutney is spicy, whereas the tamarind chutney is tangy. The Dabeli Masala is again spicy and lime juice infuses tartness. The spicy peanuts and the sweet chutney have the contrast flavours. So, how can the equation of the sour, sweet, spicy and salty taste go wrong!
The Dabeli Recipe is a delightful and delicious chat. It is popularly known as Kutchi Dabeli or Kachhi Dabeli in various regions of Gujarat. It is the snack having the mashed Aloo mixture, which can be mild or spicy. The stuffing is sandwiched between grilled Bombay Pav (Check here to prepare the Bombay Pav at home).
The boiled potatoes are tossed with the spicy Dabeli masala powder. Then these delicious filling is stuffed between butter toasted Pav. The buttered bun with the potato stuffing is topped with sweet tamarind date chutney, a spicy garlic and sizzling red chilli chutney. The real taste of the Dabeli lies in the bunch of mouthwatering toppings.
If you already have chutney’s prepared, then simply drizzle over the Dabeli. Then roasted peanuts are sprinkled for then nutty flavours and the crunch. The addition of fresh pomegranate pearls adds to the colour of the dish. The chopped coriander gives the refreshing flavours and fragrance. Whereas the Sev has its own taste and crunch.
It dish with lots of different toppings! Doesn’t it? But all these elements blend perfectly well with each other. Together they combine to give you a bunch of flavours. The taste and textures of each ingredient are felt in each bite. It is super yummy and the colourful plate is totally tempting. Even if you are health conscious, don’t mind having a plate! Prepare for a party and treat your taste buds!
How to make Spicy Roasted Peanuts?
You can use either plain roasted peanuts or spicy roasted peanuts for preparing Dabeli. For the spicy roasted peanuts, you have:
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add Asafoetida and stir.
- Remove the skin of Peanuts.
- Mix them in the pan.
- Saute till brown.
- Sprinkle red chilli powder.
- Add Turmeric Powder.
- Season mixture with salt.
- Also, add black pepper powder.
- Mix everything well.
- Switch off the stove
- Let the peanuts cool.
How to make Chilli Garlic Chutney?
It is easy to make the chilli garlic chutney at home. You can prepare either plain red chilli chutney or plain garlic chutney. But the combination of both chilli and garlic makes a fabulous chutney. To prepare the chilli garlic chutney, follow steps:
- Soak red chillies in water for half hour.
- Add to blender along with garlic.
- Drizzle lemon juice.
- Season with the salt as per the taste.
- Grind them to a smooth paste.
- Add the little water.
How to make refreshing Mint Chutney at home?
It is very simple and quick to make the refreshing chutney from the fresh herbs. To prepare the Mint Chutney at home, you would need 1 bunch of fresh cilantro. You would require 1 cup of fresh mint leaves. Also, onions, lime juice and chilli pepper would be needed. Add salt, black pepper and water as required. Follow the below steps to make the mint chutney:
- Wash, Clean and drain the cilantro leaves with the mint leaves.
- Chop both these fresh herbs. In a food processor, combine them with the chilli pepper and chopped onions. Sprinkle salt and season some black pepper. Drizzle little of
- In a food processor, combine them with the chilli pepper and chopped onions. Sprinkle salt and season some black pepper. Drizzle little of
- Sprinkle salt and season some black pepper.
- Drizzle little of the lime juice.
- Add enough water and process to a fine paste until it achieves the consistency similar to a thick sauce.