The Kanda Poha is the popular and well-known Maharashtrian breakfast recipe. This dish is made with the flattened rice, also called as Poha in the native language. The Kanda Poha Recipe is easy and simple to follow. You can prepare it with red or white Poha and some spices to retain the authentic taste.
Get Daily Dose of Delicious Recipes… Subscribe Now!
The Kanda Poha tastes fantastic and they have a fabulous aroma. Make it once and it will be a hit. The Kanda Poha are tasty as well as healthy to have. This dish is also known commonly known as Onion Poha. You can prepare this Kanda whenever you quickly want fuss-free food. This Poha can be prepared plain or with various other veggies.
The Poha they taste best when prepared with only onions. The recipe is made mainly from the flattened rice and the chopped onions. The flattened rice is called as Poha and the onions are called as Kanda, hence the name Kanda Poha. Any dish you make, the addition of onions always a huge impact on its taste and flavors.
You can still add more veggies along with onions for variation in Poha. These Poha are made from breakfast, brunch or for the anytime snack. This is the easiest and simplest of all the snack dishes. The flattened rice is tossed in various whole spice tempering. You can make the Onion Poha spicy or mildly spicy as per your choice.
- Total time of cooking is 15-20 minutes.
- The mentioned proportion of ingredients makes Kanda Poha for 4 people.
- You can also add chopped cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes and capsicum.
- Wash the Poha properly so that it becomes soft and breaks easily.
- Green chili can be replaced by red chili powder. But, green chili is more preferred.
- If you don’t like sweet flavor of Poha you can avoid adding sugar to it.
- The amount of sugar and lemon juice can be adjusted by you
- You can avoid the addition of Jeera because some people don’t like Jeera in the Poha.
- Peanuts can be skipped if you are allergic to it.
- Do not let the Poha become dry while you are cooking them.
When the onions are sautéed, they release the pungent aroma. The smell of the Kanda Poha is very fragrant and tempting. With proper garnish, you can make your Poha look more attractive. Transfer the Poha from pan to plate, and garnish it with:
- Nylon Sev (Thick Sev)
- Pomegranate Arils
- Coriander Leaves
- Grated Coconut
- Fried Onions
- Red or Green Chilies
- Raisins or Dry Fruits
- You can sprinkle some Garam masala powder over the Kanda Poha before serving.
- Place few lemon wedges for extra tanginess.
- You can mix some chaat masala powder in the Kanda Powder for chatpata taste.
- You can have this Kanda Poha for your breakfast, brunch or as an evening snack
- The hot and warm Kanda Poha can be served along with Masala chai or hot coffee.
- Don’t wash poha many times otherwise poha will become mushy and soggy.
- While washing the Poha, check the Poha by pressing with your fingers. It should break easily.
- The sprinkle of nylon Sev will give a crunchy bite to your soft Kanda Poha.
- You can also sprinkle some chaat masala or jeeravan before serving.
- If prepared kanda poha is to be eaten later you can make it warm in a microwave.
- The colour of the Kanda Poha will be altered from yellowish to reddish yellow if you use red chilli powder.
- You can skip curry leaves but taste of Poha will change.
- You can add Chana Dal and Urad Dal to convert it into Andhra style Poha.
- To make the Kanda Poha healthier, you can add various green and seasonal veggies.
The common type of Poha are Onion Poha or the Potato Poha. The later one is made with boiled potatoes and fried onions. This Kanda Poha recipe is also similar to the Batata Poha recipe with the difference of only onions and no potatoes in it. This Kanda Poha Recipe is an amazing snack dish which can be assembled quickly in almost no time. At times, those who are new to cooking may wonder how to make Kanda Poha at home. But this classic Maharashtrian dish is extremely easy and can be tried by a newbie.
This Poha dish is so simple to prepare, that it can be attempted even by the novice in cooking. To make the Kanda Poha at home, you must saute the soaked Poha with the onions. You must also add mild-flavored spices to make Poha flavorful. The tempering of spices gives the warmth to the Kanda Poha and also makes them aromatic. As Poha is very light on the stomach, this is a light breakfast option. Also, Poha is easy to digest and very nutritious. One plate of warm piping Poha, and your tummy will be filled. The bright yellow colour of the Poha is very eye-catching and its smell can easily attract anyone.
How to make Kanda Batata Poha?
The Kanda Batata Poha is again an all-time favorite Maharashtrian snack. It is very much popular among the newbies in cooking and bachelors. This wholesome snack dish can be made at any time with convenience. It has enjoyable taste and strong appealing flavors.
It is made with onions, potatoes and flattened rice. It is an easy, quick and healthy dish. The bites of sautéed potatoes and onions can be felt between the soft flattened rice. The spice tempering makes it even more delightful. And the squeeze of lemon enhances its taste. In the traditional method of Kanda Batata Poha, you can either saute the potatoes in oil or boil them and then add to the poha. Follow the below steps:
- Clean and wash Poha.
- Let the Poha soften.
- Add turmeric powder.
- Sprinkle salt and sugar.
- Take a pan and heat it.
- Roast the peanuts.
- Add some oil and let it heat.
- Saute the chopped potatoes.
- Add whole spices and stir fry.
- Add the peanuts and Poha.
- Cover the pan and steam the Poha.
How to Pack Kanda Poha for tiffin?
The leftover Kanda Poha can be packed for tiffin or you can specially prepare it for packing in the lunchbox. Spread the aluminum foil over the tiffin, and add the cooked Poha. As soon as you add the Poha, immediately close the box. This will keep Poha warm and soft.
If you keep the tiffin or the lunchbox open for a longer time, then Poha will become dry.
How to make Kanda Poha in Microwave?
In this version of Kanda Poha Recipe, you can prepare the Kanda Poha in the Microwave oven. It is very quick to prepare the Poha in the oven as compared to the pan. Whenever you are in hurry, you can try to make the Kanda Poha in the microwave oven. Follow the steps below:
- Wash and Clean the Poha.
- Soak the Poha and soft.
- Strain the Poha and drain the water.
- Add some oil in the microwave safe bowl.
- Heat for 1 minute at full power.
- Now, add the whole spices and chillies.
- Mix and microwave everything again.
- The spice seeds would crackle in the bowl.
- Now, add the chopped onions.
- Also, add the spice powders.
- Season with salt and add sugar.
- Microwave it once again for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take the bowl of Poha.
- Sprinkle some water over it.
- Squeeze little lime juice on them
- Add poha in the microwave bowl.
- Mix everything and keep to microwave.
- Take the bowl after 1 minute and Kanda Poha is ready.
How to re-heat Kanda Poha in Microwave?
You can also re-heat the leftover cooked Poha in the microwave and eat it later. Take the stored Poha from the fridge. Transfer it to the microwave safe bowl. Sprinkle some water over the Poha. Keep the bowl in the microwave and heat it for 2 to 3 minutes. You will the Poha are hot, steaming and soft to eat.
Get Recipes in your inbox